How to remove the language tabs in the bar at the top of the screen

Hi. I have made a Thai > English dictionary in FLEx and when I create it with DAB, there are 2 “THAI” tabs in the bar at the top of the opening screen? Why are there 2 identical tabs? Can I hide one or both of them? How?

app

Welcome to the Language Software Community!

Normally, the tabs which are shown in your app are defined in the Language tool (selected in the pane to the left in DAB). So here’s a sample project:

This app appears with three tabs across the top, for those three languages, since all three languages are “Enabled” (i.e. the check box is checked).

I assume if you look at the Languages in your app, you will have Thai twice. You probably can unchecked the “Enabled” box on one of them to make it disappear.

But it’s a bit weird that you have Thai twice. Are you loading from a LIFT file exported from FLEx? Maybe you have used Thai as an analysis language as well? My guess is that there is something wrong with your FLEx configuration. You can ask about that on this list: https://groups.google.com/g/flex-list.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I loaded from a LIFT file exported from FLEx with Thai as the vernacular writing system and English as the analysis writing system.

In DAB, Thai and English are enabled in the Language settings.

Hi.

You could try exporting .xhtml instead and building an app using that.
Would you mind sharing one <entry> from the lift file to see what they contain? If you open the .lift file with a text editor and it will look a little like this (it might all be on one line):

<entry id="-a'_94e8c6d6-8be2-4b8b-a837-35df73f25fa8" guid="88b8d023-130b-4533-be55-6315e736dca6" dateModified="2017-02-18">
  <lexical-unit>
   <form lang="mak"><text>-a'</text></form>
   <form lang="bug"><text>a</text></form>
  </lexical-unit>

<sense id="saya, ABS, penanda persona satu_815d51c9-4e19-4039-b53b-c36559f50f67">
   <grammatical-info value="suf"/>
   <gloss lang="en"><text>ABS, first person marker</text></gloss>
   <gloss lang="id"><text>saya, ABS, penanda persona satu</text></gloss>
   <example>
    <form lang="mak"><text>eroka' angnganre.</text></form>
    <translation>
     <form lang="id"><text>saya ingin makan.</text></form>
    </translation>
   </example>
   <example>
    <form lang="mak"><text>naboyaa' ri pasaraka purinangku.</text></form>
    <translation>
     <form lang="id"><text>paman saya mencari saya di pasar.</text></form>
    </translation>
   </example>
  </sense>
 </entry>

Regards,
Daniel

Here’s one entry from the .lift file:

<entry dateCreated="2015-03-02T09:49:12Z" dateModified="2023-07-28T01:50:38Z" id="รัก_3d2f20e3-ef71-45b5-8369-c70b5daba037" guid="3d2f20e3-ef71-45b5-8369-c70b5daba037">
 <lexical-unit>
  <form lang="th"><text>รัก</text></form>
 </lexical-unit>
 <trait  name="morph-type" value="stem"/>
  <pronunciation>
  <form lang="th"><text>rák</text></form>
  </pronunciation>

<sense id="d52b2d8f-599e-4d53-b32b-d435d553bbcd">
  <grammatical-info value="verb">
  </grammatical-info>
  <gloss lang="en"><text>love</text></gloss>
  <gloss lang="th"><text>รัก</text></gloss>
   <reversal type="en"><form lang="en"><text>love</text></form>
   </reversal>
 </sense>
</entry>

I tried exporting as .xhtml and building the app from that. In the app there was now only one “THAI” tab. So it is something in the .lift file causing the double tabs.

Hi,

It looks like Thai is an analysis language (“gloss”) as well, here:

What appear as options in the Lexicon>Features>Summary Gloss tab?

I notice English is listed as Vernacular and Gloss, that seems odd. Are there some entries that have english in the lexical unit, like this?:

<lexical-unit>
   <form lang="en"><text>.......</text></form>
</lexical-unit>

For best results, I think Thai should only appear as the Vernacular, English only as the Gloss.

See this discussion: DBA duplicate dictionary created I can't get rid of
If you give either the gloss or vernacular thai a different language code e.g. th-gloss, it should work better

Thanks for your ideas. I’ll give them a try.

Note that there are standards for the language codes, and th-gloss doesn’t actually fit the standard:
Choosing a language tag (w3.org)