SIL fonts for digital graphics

Hi! I have two very difficult for me questions:

1. If I will create an illustration/poster with this OFL license font and then I will sell the illustration in EPS vector format, it is necessary to put the text of license or another attribution in my artwork? If yes, than where I must put the text of license, because I will sell only single EPS file with my artwork.
  2. Can I use font with OFL license as basic for creating my own new font and can I sell the new font as my own without any attribution?

Many thanks and sorry for my English!

Hi.

Answer 1: You don’t need to include the licence with your EPS. See OFL-FAQ questions 1.1, 1.1.1, and 1.2.2.

Answer 2: No - if you base your font on the work of someone else you must give attribution. See OFL-FAQ section 3.

Thank you so much for very fast reply!

I would like some advice about the compatibility of image files derived from an OFL font, with the CC0 Public Domain dedication.

I’ve quickly looked through the legal code of the CC0 dedication, and it seems as though I can likely dedicate such image files (where font isn’t linked but instead graphically ‘instantiated’ for each character in the image) using the CC0 dedication. However, I would appreciate another’s advice on this. I was initially concerned due to the third-party copyright in the font characters.

Anyone have any advice?

Hi Mark - I’ll contact you directly. This site is really for support of SIL fonts, not the OFL in general, although we do respond to the occasional enquiry.