Request for Polytonic Greek localization

Problem solved. Many many thanks.

PS. I wonder whether I can translate the Keyman wordings into Polytonic Greek, so that the latter can be added to the display languages.

Our localization strings are managed on translate.keyman.com.
I’ve added Greek (Polytonic) at:

(edited)

Message me your Crowdin account and I can add you to the project.

Hi Darcy,

My crowdin account is amadel24

Hope this is OK.

— Note: Email replies will be posted to the SIL Software Community Site —

| darcy Keyman Team Lead
June 11 |

• | - |

amadel:

PS. I wonder whether I can translate the Keyman wordings into Polytonic Greek, so that the latter can be added to the display languages.

crowdin.com

Translating Keyman to Greek (Polytonic) language - Crowdin

Keyman Greek (Polytonic) translation. Help us translate Keyman and bring it to the world!

Hi Darcy,

I just completed the translation of the ios and android apps in crowdin. I wonder what I need to do now, in order for the Greek Polytonic language to appear as a display language in Keyman.

Thanks a lot.

| darcy Keyman Team Lead
June 11 |

• | - |

amadel:

crowdin.com

Translating Keyman to Greek (Polytonic) language - Crowdin

Keyman Greek (Polytonic) translation. Help us translate Keyman and bring it to the world!

Thanks for your contribution. (I’ve split this into a separate topic)

Our team will proofread the strings and then attempt to add Polytonic Greek to the mobile apps. That may take some time since part of our development team is away for a few months. Also, we don’t know if we’ll run into Android or iOS limitations on a “Polytonic Greek” locale.

Quick question about the Polytonic Greek strings.
The source string questions (ending in \?) look to be translated as ending in \;. Is that intentional?

For example: SKKeyboardAlreadyInstalled

Yes! The greek question mark is ;
The greek semicolon is ·

Yahoo Mail: Αναζητήστε, οργανωθείτε, πετύχετε

Also, for LanguageName strings, can you use the string “Polytonic Greek” as written in Greek letters? (don’t translate “English” into Greek letters)

This way, in the UI menus, users can choose the localization from a list that includes:

አማርኛ (Amharic)
{your Polytonic Greek string} (Polytonic Greek)

Hi, Darcy.

The link to LanguageName that you sent me, only contains the language name “English” translated into Polytonic Greek. I put it back to “English”.

No entry for Greek (Polytonic) is included. Please, let me know where it is, so that I can translate it. Anyway “Greek (Polytonic)” is “Ἑλληνικὰ πολυτονικά”.

Please, let me know if there is something else for me to do.

Many thanks.

| darcy Keyman Team Lead
June 19 |

• | - |

Also, for LanguageName strings, can you use the string “Polytonic Greek” as written in Greek letters? (don’t translate “English” into Greek letters)

This way, in the UI menus, users can choose the localization from a list that includes:

አማርኛ (Amharic)
{your Polytonic Greek string} (Polytonic Greek)

This is the string we want to use.

The source string “English” was intended to just be an example of what is shown in the UI dialog.

Will you let me know when the polytonic greek wordings are included in Keyman?

| darcy Keyman Team Lead
July 5 |

• | - |

amadel:

Ἑλληνικὰ πολυτονικά

This is the string we want to use.

The source string “English” was intended to just be an example of what is shown in the UI dialog.

Hi @amadel

The Polytonic Greek localizations have been added on the Android and iOS builds of
Keyman 18.0.69-alpha onward.

You can try the pre-release versions at
https://keyman.com/downloads/releases/alpha/18.0.69

Hi @darcy,
I reviewed, doublechecked and corrected all translations of the Keyman files into polytonic Greek. Will you please integrate them into v.18 so that I can test them through the
link?
Thanks a lot,
@amadel

Hi @darcy,
I reviewed, doublechecked and corrected all translations of the Keyman files into polytonic Greek. Will you please integrate them into v.18 so that I can test them again through the
link?

Also, can I instruct end users to also load the keyboard through the above link or are alpha releases only for developers?

Thanks a lot,
@amadel

| darcy Keyman Team Lead
July 8 |

• | - |

Hi @amadel

The Polytonic Greek localizations have been added on the Android and iOS builds of
Keyman 18.0.69-alpha onward.

You can try the pre-release versions at

Hi @amadel

I’ve just started to proofread some of the strings.

The source strings that say “English” are intended to be the target language. (e.g. how the Greek language name is written in Greek). Would it be “Ελληνικά”? Also for SKUILanguageNameWithEnglish, it would be something like “Ελληνικά (Greek)”

This applies to strings like

• SKUILanguageName
  • SKUILanguageNameWithEnglish
  • ssLanguageName

Also, can I instruct end users to also load the keyboard through the above link or are alpha releases only for developers?

The alpha releases are open to anybody to use. But they’re on the bleeding edge of development, and may be buggy to use.
They’re suitable to use for proofreading localization in the Keyman apps.

Done.

| darcy Keyman Team Lead
August 6 |

• | - |

Hi @amadel

I’ve just started to proofread some of the strings.

The source strings that say “English” are intended to be the target language. (e.g. how the Greek language name is written in Greek). Would it be “Ελληνικά”? Also for SKUILanguageNameWithEnglish, it would be something like “Ελληνικά (Greek)”

This applies to strings like

• SKUILanguageName
  • SKUILanguageNameWithEnglish
  • ssLanguageName

The alpha releases are open to anybody to use. But they’re on the bleeding edge of development, and may be buggy to use.
They’re suitable to use for proofreading localization in the Keyman apps.

I’ve pulled in your changes in pull request

and will update when that gets merged into 18.0 alpha builds.

I want to make sure the corrections of the wordings are OK. So I installed keyman for Android 18.0.83 from https://downloads.keyman.com/android/alpha/ and reinstalled my keyboard. The good news is that the error I was having does not occur any more. Only the wordings are not the new (correct) ones. Is there a way to include the latest wording in the latest alpha version, so that I can test them before v.18 is released?

Thanks once more.

Α. Δεληγιάννη

tonizo.gr
The Polytonic Project

| darcy Keyman Team Lead
August 6 |

• | - |

I’ve pulled in your changes in pull request

github.com/keymanapp/keyman

chore(common): Update localization for Greek Polytonickeymanapp:masterkeymanapp:chore/crowdin-more-greek-polytonic

opened 11:15PM - 06 Aug 24 UTC
darcywong00darcywong00
+1523 -48

This pulls in the rest of the Greek Polytonic localization strings requested by

and will update when that gets merged into 18.0 alpha builds.

The latest wordings will get into the latest alpha version when the above-mentioned pull request 12112 gets reviewed and merged. v18 is still early in the development cycle, so we’ll have plenty of opportunity to revise strings as needed.

I’ll let you know when the 18.0 build is ready for you to test. Thanks

(update)
You can test the Greek Polytonic strings in the other Keyman platforms in
Keyman version 18.0.86-alpha onward.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.