On Windows 10 Pro -- Using Keyman Desktop with Yiddish Keyboard

For about ten years, I have happily used Keyman Desktop Version 9 and a Yiddish keyboard that is NOT transliterated. I used it on Windows 10 Home and on earlier versions of Windows.

I just got a new computer that is running Windows 10 Pro. I installed Keyman Desktop Version 9 and found that it did not work on the new computer.

I then installed Keyman Desktop Version 11 and that DID work. But the only Yiddish keyboards available for Version 11 appear to be transliterated keyboards (i.e., “A” is “aleph”, “B” is “bes”, etc.). Additionally, the Yiddish keyboard that I had happily used with Version 9 does not work with Version 11.

Is it possible to get a non-transliterated Yiddish keyboard like the one that worked with Version 9? That keyboard was a mimic of a standard Hebrew keyboard, with, of course, additional keys for needed Yiddish characters.

Thank you.

Len Jacobson

Welcome to the community, Len.

We are sorry that you experience this issue.

Is it possible to get a non-transliterated Yiddish keyboard like the one that worked with Version 9? That keyboard was a mimic of a standard Hebrew keyboard, with, of course, additional keys for needed Yiddish characters.

We can make the keyboard work in version 11 and later if we have access to the keyboard source. Alternatively, you can create a custom keyboard to specifically suit your need.

I do have the Yiddish keyboard that I used with Version 9. Are you asking me to send it to you? If so, I will be happy to do that.

I am a new user of this forum, and as such, I cannot use the Upload function in this system. Is there another way that I can send you the keyboard that I used with Version 9?

Len Jacobson

You may send the keyboard to my email at makara@keyman.com. If you are the author of the keyboard and would like to have the keyboard published on keyman.com, we can do that too.

Makara – I appreciate very much your willingness to update the Yiddish keyboard that I have for Keyman Desktop Version 9 so that it works on the new version. I did send you
the keyboard. Can you please give me an idea as to when you will be able to give me the new version?

Thank you very, very much!!

Len Jacobson

I think Makara is out of the office this week. I’m sure he will respond when he returns.

Have you tried this Yiddish keyboard? https://keyman.com/keyboards/yiddish_pasekh

Lorna,

Thank you so much for responding with this message. I do appreciate it!!

The Yiddish Pasekh keyboard is a transliterated keyboard which means it is not consistent with a standard Hebrew keyboard. Since I am a touch typist, using a transliterated keyboard would be “painful” at best.

The Yiddish-Hebrew keyboard that I sent to Makara does comply with a standard Hebrew keyboard.

Again, thank you very much for your response.

Len Jacobson

Makara,

I am still hoping (and anxious) to hear back from you regarding modifications to the Yiddish-Hebrew keyboard that worked in Version 9 of Keyman Desktop. I need it to work on Keyman Desktop Version 11 (and, soon, Version 12).

Can you please respond and set my expectations as to when you would have that for me?

If you need me to resend the data file that I sent you a while back, please tell me.

Thank you.

Len Jacobson

Hi Len, I have not yet seen the email you sent. Could you please resend it to me and I will see how much time will be needed? Thanks!

Makara,

I have been trying to reply to the email you sent me so that I could send you again the Yiddish-Hebrew.kmp file that I was given for Version 9.0 of Keyman Desktop. But each time I reply to your email, I get a message from your website saying:

We’re sorry, but your email message to [“software_community@sil.org”] (titled FW: [SIL Software] [Keyman] On Windows 10 Pro – Using Keyman Desktop with Yiddish Keyboard) didn’t work.

None of the destination email addresses are recognized, or the Message-ID header in the email has been modified. Please make sure that you are sending to the correct email address provided by staff.

So I have placed a zip file on my website that I am hoping you can then download. Here is a URL to that zip file:

[http://reunionlane.com/Yiddish-Hebrew.zip](http://reunionlane.com/Yiddish-Hebrew.zip)

Please let me know if you can get that zip file.

Thank you.

Len Jacobson

Pleas try this makara@keyman.com.

Makara,

About 48 hours ago,I emailed you the Yiddish-Hebrew file for Version 9 of Keyman Desktop.

Did you get it?

Len_Jacobson

Makara is away until Monday.

The .kmp installs two keyboards, Yiddish-Hebrew and Yiddish-Pasekh. The former is non-transliterated and later transliterated. This issue is now closed.

I thought you had offered to help Len get Yiddish-Hebrew working on his computer. One of his first messages indicates it no longer works on his new computer. Is it working now?

Lorna,

Yes it is working! Makara had me double click the .kmp file that I had all along. I didn’t realize that that was the way to install the keyboard. When I executed it, the keyboard installed perfectly.

Thank you for your concern on my (unnecessary) issue.

Len Jacobson

Great! I’m glad you’ve managed to resolve the issue.

@Lorna I was about to create a new Yiddish Hebrew keyboard, but I am glade that I got to talk to Len prior. The thing is that Keyman Desktop (of any version) was not installed on the machine. The .kmp will not executed unless the Keyman Desktop is installed.

What is interesting to me is that the .kmp might have been a customized version of the existing keyboard in our repo (the one you sent to Len earlier) because once installed two keyboards appear, “Yiddish Pasekh” (Transliterated version) and “Yiddish Hebrew” (Non-transliterated). According to Len, the Yiddish Hebrew is very usable as its layout is more familiar to the users. Unfortunately, Yiddish Hebrew does not exist in our repo, consequently it is not obvious to the users where to find it. @Lorna Do you know the author of Yiddish Pasekh keyboard? I am not sure if the author is aware of the .kmp Len is using.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.