Multiple Users of a Saymore Project

Has anyone tried using Dropbox or another cloud type service to share the Saymore directory with another editor? I imagine we would have to be careful to edit it one-at-a-time to avoid saving over another’s edits, but can it be done?

I did at one time. But dropbox and Saymore were different then.

Did it work then? Any tips?

It did. have a way of “checking out” the project and checking it back in.
We had a process (manual and flawed) where one moved the project folder off
of dropbox and put a text file in the dropbox/saymore projects folder that
gave the user’s name and date/time of checking it out and then back in.
the problem came that people forgot to move it back or to change the time
or to move it out in the first place.

Thanks! We have a google doc that we use to check in/out the FLEx project, so I bet we can use that to check in/out the SayMore project as well.

Why would do that with a FLEx project instead of using send and recieve?

we do use send and recieve :slight_smile:

I meant with the send and receive function. Why use the google doc and the send-receive function. It seems like extra work, than say a regular send and receive schedule.

Seeing if there are any other suggestions on this topic. We have multiple users with multiple devices who need to collaborate on a SayMore project.

My first thought was to have the project files save directly to Dropbox and have everyone’s installation of SayMore pull from that folder, but I can’t find a way of changing the save location.

Thank you in advance…

@elban91

You can change the location of a SayMore project folder the same way you would move a document in any other software. It’s just a bit more awkward because you’re moving a whole folder instead of just one file.

Quit SayMore, then move your project folder wherever you want it. Now run SayMore and choose the project file from where you moved it, and SayMore will remember where it was from then on.

If you are using Dropbox, please note that we can’t promise it will work, or that things won’t get messed up. At a minimum, you will need to have some way of ensuring that

1. only one member of your project is running SayMore at any given time
  2. Dropbox has time in between users to fully synchronize the files.

You might also encounter occasional errors, if Dropbox locks files that SayMore is trying to read.

There were some improvements in SayMore 3.2 to try to make it a little more robust when its files are saved in a DropBox, OneDrive or Google Drive synched folder. However, it appears that this can still lead to locking problems. (I just got a report of such problems with OneDrive, and although I’m not 100% sure, I suspect that is the problem.)

Thanks for this thread. I am about to try creating a SayMore project stored on a departmental server location, a mapped network drive I believe, for three users to share. I appreciate the advice to have a mechanism for declaring who is using/editing the SayMore, so that no one else uses it at the same time.

When the computer is away from its connection to that server, can the SayMore project be opened in a read-only fashion? Or will it simply not work?

Hello @Hugh_Paterson. This is a pretty old conversation… but one reason to “check a FLEx project in/out” is if the group is using Texts & Words. FLEx Send/Receive is nowhere near as robust as ParaTExt Send/Receive, and the interlinear text features don’t play nicely, FLEx is not smart enough to handle S/R conflicts there very well.

We have found that it helps to advise users to not edit the same text, (within the same S/R cycle).

I don’t know if @katelynnlindsey is watching, but it would be interesting (not necessary!) to hear if S/R Conflicts are part of the reason that they took this “unnecessary step.”