Multiple people working on the same book or collection

In our case, we have tried to avoid a lot of back and forth editing of the book between machines. We have mostly used the work-around of making a PDF and marking that up and sending it back and forth, or marking up a Word document of the text before it is entered into Bloom. We have also used the share screen work-around. We only end up needing to zip and sent the final version back and forth once or twice, using all these work-arounds.

1 Like

In our case, we had a remote user and a local consultant. The title and folder name had non-ascii characters.
The remote user was one of those basic users that Bloom is designed for. The mother-tongue document was all typed in English fields in an English Collection.

Our Consultant wanted to see the work, and she had no way to get it.

The user couldnā€™t grab one file and send (like Word or publisher), couldnā€™t zip it, (she didnā€™t know what 7zip was), and even if she had, our email hates us sending ā€œdangerousā€ compressed files. (She didnā€™t have cloud storage set up on her machine.)

I ended up Bomgaring to the userā€™s machine and transferring the folder to myself, fixing the language codes in the file, copying it to a USB to give to the consultant, letting her look through it, then taking it back on the flash drive before transferring it over Bomgar to the remote user.

Iā€™m mostly in need of an [in-bloom] backup to 7z, and an [in-Bloom] import form 7z.

Hello John and everybody,
Iā€™ve just tried to follow this conversation about different people working on the same booklets, sharing versions etc. Me and my team have paused for various reasons and now, taking up work again, we realize we are in a big mess with many different versions of booklets on 5 different themes in 4 different languages including audio for some (intending audio for all). We would very very much appreciate a cloud sharing solution, or a send/receive function (like in Paratext). - Is there any progress/result?

One question remotely in this context: We have just published one booklet that we thought is the newest version in all languages and now it turns out that it has an old recording in one of the languages. Is there a way to retrieve the good recording from another version and put it into this version? Or asked more generally, can different elements (corrected text, recordingā€¦) be isolated and taken from one version and combined together in another version? Rather than doing it all over again?
Desperately,
Anne-Marie

sorry John, I am really interested in this thread and am sorry I missed it. I donā€™t know if you still need feedback, but here is our process.

So mostly we manage by NOT sharing - the few times we have shared between us, it has been really disastrous with the starting settings sometimes different causing loads of confusion and wasted hours. weā€™ve used email, gdrive etc, but nothing was efficient, and often we ended up with a situation where it was easier to start from scratch. So over the pandemic, we worked by splitting the tasks as follows -

Each book is discussed - I work on the text and illustrators work on the images.
They send me the images and I put in all in, send the illustrator the pdf and we discuss changes on phone or we mark up on pdf/ image.
Once laid out to our satisfaction, the text goes to our interpreters for translation and the original gets voiced. I edit audio and then I complete all fiddling that needs to happen and upload the original.
By the time the translations come back and then the process starts again - this time with me and each language writer - edit, layout, send pdf, integrate changes, voice, etc.

Usually, before i upload to the website, I share the bloomd file so that people involved in that book can review on their phones. Once I get the final ok from all the collaborators, I upload.

Since we have a single point of upload, even when there has been changes by various collaborators - image or text or voice, I am able to integrate before uploading. Since i edit the audio files, when there is a mismatch or need for fine tuning text or audio, I can work with the various people involved and make the changes before I upload.

Hope this helps

Thanks everybody for your feedback and patience. Bloom 5.0 beta is now available (see announcement). We hope you will all be pleased with our first installment of ā€œTeam Collectionsā€, which lets teams safely share a collection so long as they are occasionally connected to the internet or a LAN. In Bloom 5.1, weā€™ll follow on with a Book and Collection History features.

Please get in touch with me before deploying this to your projects so that we can learn from each other.

Early results from PNGā€™s Education For Life are positiveā€¦ @Koen72 maybe you can give us a testimonial?

Also related to this request: the new Draft Option:

could you explain a bit more what is meant by ā€œshare a collectionā€ ?

We have been using this feature a lot and it has been SO helpful. I initially understood it as a draft version that would allow my team to download and work on it and then upload back so the next member could pick up and add their bit in, but then realized that this was not to be.
Still, I just wanted to say, it is hugely helpful to share books in this form, giving the different people involved a chance to see and hear it and then send me the changes in include.

thank you for doing this!