Lam-Alef with high hamza

I noticed that Scheherazade New is missing a very important and common ligature, one that occurs very frequently in the Quranic text. It is Lam-Alef, but with a high hamza located in the center, and with a fatha over hamza.

A number of other fonts support it, such as Coranica (contains special signs for the spellings of the Cairo print edition, the first proper printed version of Quran) and the Hafs Uthmanic Script font designed by the Saudi department for Quran publishing (although the later is not purely Unicode-based).

Without this ligature, it is impossible to write the Quran in its published form in a text. The ligature is used in several words in the Quran (middle eastern editions).

An example can be seen here:
https://corpuscoranicum.de/fr/manuscripts/159/page/87v

A suggested spelling for the ligature is:
Lam+High Hamza+Alef

Or with diacritics, when used in Quranic context:
Lam+Sukun+High Hamza+Fatha+Alef

(high hamza = Unicode char x0674)

Thanks for your feedback. I’m not sure when or if we will be able to support this, but I will add it to our issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

Apparently the ligature can be formed using multiple glyph ids in SIL ViewGlyph:

Diacritics don’t sit well with this ligature. Sukun and Fatha sit too closely to the letters. (could be ViewGlyph itself not showing them).

But I cannot produce it using any Unicode character combination. Tried in Word, Firefox, etc with several char combinations.

High hamza is a spacing character. As such, it would break the ligature, and so it will probably not work well with any font. It may be that you just need a specialized font that uses the regular hamza with a different attachment.

What about the Alef with High hamza (U0675)? The ligature can be formed with Lam+U0675, as it forms with all other shapes of Alef (wasla etc).

Also wondering, why does the glyph exist in the font? What characters does it represent?

The formal Unicode way to represent this sequence is Lam, Tatweel, Hamza Above, Alef. Fonts can ligate this sequence to create the special lam-alef ligature with hamza in the middle.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. I’m still not sure when (or if) we will implement this.