Keyman 15 McAfee claims virus

For the past month, every time I update Keyman, McAfee claims it has found and ‘taken care of’ a virus that happens to exist in the file folder where Keyman’s software sits. The file and location in question is C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Keyman\Keyman Engine\crashpad_handler.exe. Is this indeed a virus, or is McAfee being paranoid? Can Keyman run without this file, or do I need to do something about this?

Hi Marian, welcome to the community!

Yes, this is a false positive report. We are working to get this resolved. Can you let me know which McAfee product is reporting this, and the Engine version within that McAfee product? We will be submitting a false positive report following the instructions at https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS103032&page=shell&shell=article-view.

The product is McAfee/LiveSafe. How do I find the engine version of this?

JTI/Suspect.196612!15c799934aaf
C:\Program Files (x86)\Keyman\Keyman Desktop\sentry-0.4.9\crashpad_handler.exe

This article shows how to find the details on McAfee/LiveSafe version:

https://www.mcafee.com/support/?page=shell&shell=article-view&articleId=TS101107

Here are the details. The last update might have been after the last time I got the false virus warning. (Don’t know what time the update happened).

McAfee LiveSafe
Version: 16.0
Release Name: 16.0 R48

Components
McAfee SecurityCenter
AffId: 105
Build: 19.18.118
Language: en-us
Last update: 8/14/2022
Version: 19.18

McAfee VirusScan
Build: 26.3.109
Engine creation date: 8/14/2022
Engine version: 4891.0
Last update: 8/14/2022
Version: 26.3

Thank you @Marian for the additional detail. We haven’t heard back from McAfee as yet, despite writing a few times.

FYI, McAfee’s virus warnings continue - at least once a day.

You should be able to tell McAfee to trust a file; I don’t have the software here so am unsure what the specific steps are. We never heard back from them on our reports for the false positive. Perhaps you, as a user of McAfee software, would be willing to report the false positive also? Thanks!

I contacted McAfee again. Their response was very unhelpful:

I do understand your concern, I apologize for the inconvenience caused. Currently, I can only ask you to wait for the reply as they will doing research on this issue and will be finding a resolution.

Given this, it might be worth switching to an alternative antivirus product where the vendor responds in a timely manner (note: we’ve experienced false positives with many of the major products in the past, and the other product vendors have been very responsive, unlike McAfee). You may well find that the built-in Windows antivirus software (Windows Defender) meets your needs.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.