Indonesian keyboard inserts quotes after [period] + [space] keystrokes (Mac OS)

I’m trying to use the indonesian keyboard in keyman (mainly to get around the MAC OSX autocorrect settings while typing Indonesian) but I’m running into a problem in the software. For some reason, when using that keyboard, the keyboard automatically inserts a double quote mark ["] after a period and a space. This results in every new sentence opening with a quotation mark. I’ve dug as far as I can in the UI for the keyboard but can’t find any configuration settings to solve the problem. Can anybody help me?

Which Indonesian keyboard you are having issue with? There are several of them in our keyboard library:

https://keyman.com/keyboards?q=indonesian

I installed this one.

https://keyman.com/keyboards/indonesia?bcp47=id

I just installed Indonesian-Suku and it does NOT put quotes after a period. I suppose I can use that one from now on. It’s just odd that the Indo one adds them and I can’t stop it from happening.

I’m not seeing anything in the code of the keyboard that would cause this. Unless you are on a mobile keyboard then I see one problem in one of the stores, but even so, it’s not giving me the same problem as you had (I’m on Windows). Can you give more details about OS and applications?

The OS details are in the screenshot. I’ve experienced the problem in both MS Word (Mac) and F4Transkript (Mac).

I also just tried installing both keyboards on a Windows machine and i noticed that the Indonesian keyboard automatically inserts a period when hitting space-bar twice, while the Indonesian-Suku keyboard does not.

I hope that helps.

@bennylin Can you look into the issue below with this keyboard of yours: Indonesia Keyboard. The quotation marks got added automatically when a space is pressed twice in a row on macOS, I’ve tested with TextEdit, but as mentioned above it can also happen in MS Office Word. This behavior does not happen in Windows though.

For some reason, when using that keyboard, the keyboard automatically inserts a double quote mark ["] after a period and a space. This results in every new sentence opening with a quotation mark.

It’s possible there is a bug in the Keyman for Mac engine which is causing this. We will be doing some work on the engine later this year and we will check this out at that time.

Hi @makara, I’ve just got this conversation when somebody messaged me today about the exact same problem. I’ve also checked and had no problem. It was not intended to do so in my part, because I was more concerned developing the mobile keyboard, and almost left the physical layout untouched.

Hopefully there’s an update on the Mac engine soon… I’m planning to be active again and update my keyboards with dictionaries.

I am testing this on macOS Monterey and I do see it this issue (i.e. . " is output) whenever I typed:

1. a space after a period
  2. two spaces in a row

These behaviors are not experienced in Windows. Double space gives only a period and a space.

I’ve taken a look at this. Sorry it slipped off our radar. I’ve opened an issue at https://github.com/keymanapp/keyman/issues/6168 and have found the root cause. Working on preparing a fix now – it’s a bug in Keyman for Mac, and good news is it’s an easy fix.

The latest update of Keyman 14.0 for Mac is now available for download from Keyman 14.0 for macOS, and it fixes this issue.

The conversation has been resolved.