How to add user interface language's

Hi Chris,
Now that WeSay includes the Arabic UI localizations (thanks a lot for adding it!), I wanted to have the Semantic Domains appear in Arabic too, but they were still appearing in English.
This is how I solved this problem

• rename C:\Program Files (x86)\WeSay\common\SemDom.xml to something else
  • rename C:\Program Files (x86)\WeSay\common\LocalizedLists-ar.xml to C:\Program Files (x86)\WeSay\common\SemDom.xml
  • replace all occurrences of ws=“ar” into ws=“arb” in the new SemDom.xml (to match the language code in WeSay)
  • check that in WeSay Configuration Tool, for the field “Sem Dom” only Arabic was ticked
    My Semantic Domains now display in Arabic.
    But I’m wondering if this the right way to do that or if there is an easier way to have the Semantic Domains in the language we want?
    Thanks a lot
    Dominique

Dear Dominique,

Thanks for writing. As you probably know, WeSay is not being developed any more and there isn’t currently anyone from SIL who is assigned to WeSay support.

What you’ve done is clever and I think is the best thing for right now. You can get it to work even without step 1.

All WeSay needs is for the filename and the ws tags inside the file to match the input system tag “arb” and it should work. So, if you rename “LocalizedLists-ar.xml” to “LocalizedLists-arb.xml” and change the writing system id “ar” -> “arb” inside the file as you have done, then it should work. WeSay got an updated list of language codes and “ar” is no longer available to be picked because “arb” is the preferred code. But the semantic domain files weren’t updated with this change.

You’ve already fixed your install. For other installs, you could simply place the LocalizedLists-arb.xml file in the common directory and it would work, assuming you have arb checked as the only input system for semantic domains.

I’ve posted a copy that I modified in the same way to a location that people can download here (intended to be put into C:\Program Files (x86)\WeSay\common\ )

Ideally a future version of WeSay would contain this updated semantic domain file, but I don’t know when that would be.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks a lot for your availability, moreover on a product on which
nobody is assigned.
Your answer was very useful, as always.
Blessings,
Dominique