Hebrew phonetic for iOs (like MacOs, Sun)

Hi

I have seen that there are some hebrew phonetic keyboards for ios, however there distribution is not the one
I am used tom as is provided in standard Linux distributions (based on a version released by SUN) or a version which one was in MacOs.
bascially the distribution of that keyboard is as follows

פויועתראשק
לכיהגפדסא
מנבוחצז

I hope this is correctly displayed? for example q=ק
I downloaded the keyman-engine-ios-10.0.211.zip
using Ubuntu 16.06

but are there any pointers how to proceed, how to generate compile and then upload the desired keyboard.
thanks and regards
Uwe Brauer

Hi @oub

I downloaded the keyman-engine-ios-10.0.211.zip
using Ubuntu 16.06

keyman-engine-ios is for developers wanting to create their own iOS app that contains the Keyman engine and a keyboard they’ve already created.

It sounds like you’re a Linux user that wants to create a Hebrew keyboard that can be used on iOS (e.g. can be installed from Keyman for iPhone and iPad). You won’t need keyman-engine-ios.

Instead, you would have to use Keyman Developer which runs on Windows and is the free tool for creating keyboards that can be used on desktops and/or mobile platforms. Links to download Keyman Developer are at the bottom of
https://keyman.com/downloads/

Some Keyman Developer guides for creating keyboards are at
https://help.keyman.com/developer/10.0/guides/develop/

Once you’ve created the touch layout keyboard (.js keyboard), we can have another discussion on distributing it and making it available.

Note: Keyman 11 is scheduled to release in 2019 and will include better support for Linux (based on KMFL). Keyman Developer will still be a Windows-only application though.

More of our team will be able to help you after the New Year.

thanks for the clarification!

I also cloned the github repository (whose links I cannot not sent)

I had a look at some keyboards and it did not look overly complicated but it seems that i would need the
windows executables in order to test any new keyboard, do I understand that correctly? That would be a bit of problem since i don’t have have access to a windows installation.

Once you’ve created the touch layout keyboard (.js keyboard), we can have another discussion on distributing it and making it available.
hm in the git source I just mentioned, there is a hebrew.js, which is quite unreadable.
In any case I will read the documentation you mentioned and try to see what i can figure out myself.
thanks
Uwe Brauer

You’d need Windows in order to use the interactive and graphical keyboard editor. The kmcomp compiler does run under WINE and that’s the path we currently recommend for non-Windows users. For testing a touch keyboard for iOS, you could use KeymanWeb on Chrome quite effectively – Chrome’s mobile emulation makes this easy to run on your desktop before loading it onto your phone.

thanks, any pointers of how to compile it under wine? The package does not include an executable, I presume?
If I understand the logic correctly, I should, only, modify the file
keyboards/legacy/h/hebrew/source/hebrew.js
to my liking. I had a quick glance with the GNU emacs editor, there are parts which looks quite intuitive, namely the first part, but the part starting with start like {var k=KemanWeb is not and most likely can’t be edited by a simple text editor and that is why i Presume the interactive keyboard editor.
So a pointer for the compilation under wine would be very welcome.
I have chrome installed in my iPad, but also would welcome a pointer to the precise website which I should load for the testing. thanks

I don’t recommend editing the .js file directly. Instead, work with the .kmn file (https://help.keyman.com/developer/language) and use kmcomp (downloadable from https://keyman.com/developer/download.php) to compile that into a .js file.

Because you are not using the Keyman Developer IDE on Windows, you’ll have to do a little more work yourself to configure things. You can load the .js file with KeymanWeb for testing by following the instructions at https://help.keyman.com/developer/engine/web/10.0/guide/get-started

Then, to test with Chrome on your desktop, follow the instructions at https://help.keyman.com/developer/10.0/guides/test/how-to-test-your-touch-layout-in-the-google-chrome-mobile-emulator, skipping over the Keyman Developer-specific information and working with the web page you created earlier.

I dowloaded keymandeveloper-10.0.1206.0.exe
but when I run wine keymandeveloper-10.0.1206.0.exe
I obtain: this product needs Windows 7 or later to install.
But you said kmcomp, so I am supposed to run this with wine.
I took the hebrew.knm file from

the directory
release/g/galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic/source
also contains
galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic.kps.
galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic.kvks
So i copied all the file in a new directory and run

wine kmcomp.exe galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic.kmn
and I obtained
Keyman Developer Compiler
Version 10.0.1206.0, Copyright c SIL International. All Rights Reserved.

Visual keyboard Z:\home\oub\ALLES\Downloads\keymap-windows\kmcomp-10.0.1206.0\galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic.kvks successfully compiled to Z:\home\oub\ALLES\Downloads\keymap-windows\kmcomp-10.0.1206.0\galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic.kvk
Keyboard galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic.kmn compiled, output saved as galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic.kmx.

(BTW no js file was generated)
so far so good, but how and which file do have to modify in order to obtained my desired hebrew keyboad?
Sorry for all the elementary questions

kmcomp is the second download link under “Keyman Developer”
Currently, it’s listed as kmcomp Compiler 10.0.1206.0

The galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic keyboard does not include a touch version; it was created before touch devices existed. You can see which platforms are supported for a given keyboard by checking the .kmn file, in the &targets system store.

I am very much confused now. See the attached screenshots. I use galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic on my iPhone.

I think the JS keyboard you’re seeing is the one created for keymanweb
https://keymanweb.com/#hbo-Hebr,Keyboard_galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic

which isn’t optimized for touch-layouts. (The keyboard source directory would have a -layout.js or .keyman-touch-layout JSON file)

In the .kmn file, it’s listed as

store(&TARGETS) 'windows macosx web'

Maybe there’s additional kmcomp flags to generate the .js file?

@darcy is correct. To generate a .js from the .kmn, you need to specify outfile.js as a parameter (where outfile is the target filename). I’m sorry, I missed that entirely and mis-remembered on the status of the galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic keyboard.

You will find if you build the .kpj (project) file, you’ll get better results because that has additional configuration and file layout (the .kpj file is in the parent folder, not in the source folder). To build from the kpj, you don’t need to specify the outfile – all target files will be built.

Well it works reasonable on my iphone SE and on my ipad pro 12.1 inch. So if understand you correctly i can take that file or better the whole directory as a starting point and change the knm file according to my needs, generate a (git) patch and send it, say to you?

@Marc
Now i am confused, which file am i supposed to change the galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic.kmn (which looks doable) or the galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic.kpj, which looks odd since it does not contain any specific keybindings.

galaxie_hebrew_mnemonic.kpj is the project file containing metadata about the keyboard project. Files, etc.

The kmn file is the source file for the keyboard. It contains all the rules. If you intend to do a touch layout you will also need to create a json file defining the touch layout.

One issue is that some of the files may need to be utf-8 with a byte order mark. I would suggest using Visual Studio Code as the editor. It will reduce grief on Mac OS or Linux.

Kmconv runs with wine . On my installs I just grabbed the files from the tools director in the keyboards repository.

Not sure if kmconv needs to use a 32bit profile for wine or not. I use a 64bit system but have both 32bit and 64bit profiles for wine. And out of habit use the 32bit profile for keyboard projects

Respectfully, due to the inactiveness of the conversation, this topic is now closed for any further discussion.
Please feel free to create a new topic if there is any question or the issue persists.