Font Changing While Typing


I have many users that have been complaining that the font changes when they start typing.
They need the specific font that was created for the keyboard.

We noticed the font change when we switched over to Keyman 14 and it is happening with Keyman 16 as well.

The Keyboard being used is the BJCreeUNI (east) and the font needed is BJCreeUni

There is a font being distributed with the keyboard. Its name is a tiny bit different: BJCree UNI. I installed the keyboard (on Windows) and, as you say, it isn’t changing to the font. I noticed the font doesn’t have a “bit” set for the Canadian Aborigianal Syllabics. It’s possible that is the problem and Windows has just gotten more picky about when it will use the font. I tried changing to BJCree UNI in both LibreOffice and in Word, and when I did that, it seemed to work okay.

Our users have tried that as well and every time they go back to the BJCree Uni font in Word, it changes it back to Gadugi (there’s another font too that it changes too but I don’t remember it). This happens every time, no matter the Windows 10 version or the version of Keyman.

when we switched over to Keyman 14 and it is happening with Keyman 16 as well.

What version of Keyman were you using before, when this problem wasn’t happening? Were there any other system changes at the time, like upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or similar?

This happens every time, no matter the Windows 10 version or the version of Keyman.

It’s possible I’m reading a bit much into the statement above, but details like these can help us narrow down the issue.

We were using Keyman 9 PRO before. It was an MSI.

No other changes, we had switched over to Windows 10 a few years before and we were still using the Keyman 9 PRO when the migration to Windows 10 happened.

I have been testing this today.

Test 1.

  • Open Word
  • Start New blank document
  • Observe that Calibri is selected as the font
  • Ensure BJCreeUni is set as the input method
  • Start typing
  • Result: font changes to Gadgui
  • Select the font BJCree UNI
  • Start typing:
  • Result: font stays as BJCree UNI
  • Save document & Close Word
  • Open Word and saved document
  • Start typing again
  • Result Font stays as BJCree UNI
  • Change the Font back to Calibri
  • Start typing
  • Result: font changes to Gadgui
  • Change font to BJCree UNI

Test 2

  • Start a Blank document
  • Select font BJCree UNI & input method as BJCreeUNI
  • Start typing
  • Result font stays as BJCree UNI

So if the font is ever a font that doesn’t support BJCreeUNI it changes to Gadgui however once selecting the BJCree UNI it stays as that font.


  • Select text that is of font type BJCree UNI
  • Press the “normal” style in the ribbon menu to apply the Normal styles
  • It converts the font for the selected text to Gadgui

Although I don’t quite observe the same as your users report. I can see it would be annoying if the styles where applied to an already edit document.,

I think the problem for users is around the Normal.dotm styles template using Gadgui for the BJCree. Do you distribute the Normal.dotm as part of the distributed install or is it the default Word copy. Perhaps we could look at modifying it?

FWIW, I experienced this issue with an Ethiopic keyboard and font just recently. It turns out it was MS Word trying to be helpful. In my scenario, the Ethiopic font was missing some symbols that the keyboard was emitting. So Word (on Windows 10) would switch to another font that included the missing symbols. But Word does not switch back to the starting font, you have to change back manually. It was very annoying, so I fixed the issue by adding the missing symbols to the first font.

It is the nature of how MS Word utilises fonts. Options include:

  1. Manually setting font when starting a new document
  2. Change default font settings
  3. Create a language specific template with desired font, default language set.

Third approach is the most practical.

@dyacob and @Andrew_Cunningham Thank you for the information that confirms the behaviour in the tests I made.
@Natcay in your situation, I think the option 3 Andrew mentions should work best as long as you can remote install the template along with the rollout of Keyman.

How do I do this, please.

Okay. How would I make this template?

Firstly you need to open the Normal.dotm template follwoing the steps here
Change the Normal template (Normal.dotm ) - Microsoft Support

At step 4 in that link follow these steps to change the normal and heading styles.
In summary, right click on the ribbon for Normal, Heading 1, etc and change the font to BJCree Uni
Customize or create new styles - Microsoft Support

Then save the normal.dotm. All new documents created will now use these settings. You will then need to distribute the normal.dotm as part of the deployment

Okay thank you.
I will definitely try that

I created a template with BJCree UNI as default font, changed all the styles to use BJCree UNI.
It did not work.

As you type, the font menu stays BJCree UNI but the actually text is not.

In the image below. The text on the left is BJCree UNI and text on the right is what the keyboard produces

It looks like this is an issue specifically with the BJCree UNI font. We’re working with the original author of that font on releasing an update which should resolve the problem: [bjcree] Update keyboards which include the bjcree fonts by LornaSIL · Pull Request #2443 · keymanapp/keyboards · GitHub

Yes there was a bit missing in the BJCree Uni font. They sent us the newest version and it is working perfectly.

1 Like

This conversation has been resolved.