Extra character deleted with selected text in Microsoft Word

When I select a text in Microsoft Word, BACKSPACE deletes selected texts + an extra character (the previous or following one, depending on what direction I selected the text.

I know that similar issues have been noted but I was wondering if any workarounds have been found, in particular through coding with Keyman coding language in Keyman Developer (although any other workaround tips are appreciated). Unfortunately, not using Word is not an option.

Thank you!

Welcome to the community @Sicilanguageist,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I’m able to reproduce this on my computer with the latest Keyman. I’ll create an issue and we can track the progress there.

For a workaround, you can use the cut button instead of backspace.

Tracking at: bug(windows): backspace delete selected text and an extra character #11831

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hello! I’d like to report another bug, hoping this is useful. It’s a similar issue: when selecting a text and there’s no character to delete, the text formating is deleted instead.

For example, if a text is bold and in italics, and I double click on it to overwrite it with new text, it comes out as regular (again, if there’s no extra character to delete, e.g. at the beginning of a paragraph.

Can you give me a detail example of this?

It’d be probably better if I attach a screenshot. As a new user, I can’t attach more than one file at a time.

I hope this example is clear enough

Thank you for such a detail explanation.

I have included your report here: bug(windows): backspace with selected text deletes an extra character in TSF only #7870.

1 Like

Actually I have created a separate issue for this as it is not related. bug(windows): Replacing selected text in Word loses formatting · Issue #11893 · keymanapp/keyman · GitHub

1 Like

Hello @Sicilanguageist! This issue has been fixed. You can test it out on Keyman 18.0.73-alpha.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.