Easy formatting for storybooks from A4 to Device formatting

Right now, when we want to move our storybooks from A4 format to Device format, we have to manually combine facing pages so they appear on one screen. We usually have our text on the left page and the picture on the right page. Combining the picture and the text to one device screen takes a long time when you have a large collection. I would love to see an option for switching from A4 to Device format where Bloom asks the user if they want to put facing pages on the same screen - combining two pages to one screen.

1 Like

That’s a really interesting proposal Tara.

Before the team pursues this question further, it would good for us to know if you have tried this using the “manual” method and can confirm that reducing two A4 pages to a device size produces desirable and readable results for your particular application?

@Tara can you point us to some of these books on Bloom Library to look at? Thanks.

@Tara
OK, today we came up with a plan for supporting your need, using our nascent spreadsheet import/export function. You will be able to export your book to a spreadsheet, then re-import into a new book, using the default page layout that combines text and image in a single page. This spreadsheet work is being done by our wonderful summer intern, who would probably enjoy converting some books for you as she tests out her programming work. So yeah, if you can send me some links to books you’re wanting to convert, I’ll pass those on and put her in touch with you.

1 Like

I was JUST thinking about this myself. It would also be handy if the books had been made in A5.

Is this something that BLOOM developers are pursuing?

As far as I’m aware, we didn’t heard back from anyone about particular books. So in that sense, no, we aren’t helping with this (again, as far as I know).

But we are working on the feature in Bloom Alpha 5.2 that allows you to export as a spreadsheet and then re-import onto a book that would combine or split elements onto different pages.

1 Like

If I have understood what you suggest correctly, this would be a really helpful feature. We design our books assuming they will be read on a device by our target group. However, many will want a printed version as well and so we do create the default pdf, but when we have the time or interns to help, we reset the pdf to create a better print copy. This we then save for readers under our more resources tab…

1 Like

Hi John,

Oh my! If only I had my account set up to receive replies to posts. I just saw this year old post!! Ugh. I missed out. I just updated my Bloom to the new 5.2 version. Will you have a video made of this Excel export/import feature? I would love to learn how to use it. We supplement our elementary school programs with tablets which have Bloom and AlphaTiles, so a faster way of putting our printed books into device format would be amazing!!! Here is an example of a book that was switched from A4 to device. (Ignore the translation. Same book, different language, but you get the gist.) Aminata and the Red Spiky Ball:

A4 Version: Bloom Library: Home
Device talking book version: Bloom Library: Home

John, I would love a tutorial video on how to use the spreadsheet function.