Control over order of Sign language videos vs. Talking Book narration

we are working with a deaf preschool and have just tested two versions of a book - with text+narration+ISL and text+isl. Everyone loves the text+narration+isl because it allows the hearing and deaf to enjoy the story together - the reality in most homes; - and because it exposes the deaf kids to print and another language, and hearing kids/ adults to sign language - like a dual language book.

the problem we are facing is that both play simultaneously. Could we select order of play like you have done with the comic speech bubbles? At the very least, can we ensure they don’t play together - it doesn’t bother the deaf, but hearing users are really distracted.

thank you!

@Chetana
Thank you for posting this request, Namita. We estimate that fitting videos into the Talking-Book Playback Order system will be too expensive for us to fit this in to our next version of Bloom & Bloom Player.

At the very least, can we ensure they don’t play together - it doesn’t bother the deaf, but hearing users are really distracted.

OK, how about if we made Bloom Player play all videos first, followed by talking. Or would you prefer it in the other order?

as a deaf user, depending on my experience and exposure to language, I may be led by text, supported by isl, or led by isl supported by text.
If the reader could choose the order of play to support their way of receiving and processing information, that would be huge!
If it is too expensive/ complicated, then yes, isl first would be an option.

@Chetana, we have this Sign Language Video-before-Talking Book change running now on alpha.bloomlibrary.org. E.g., your Detective Stick book.

As far as differently disabled readers needing different things, at this point, hopefully you can publish different editions of the book for each of these needs?

Yes, we can create different versions for each although we need to find a way to label that’s better than the clunky system we have going now (see detective stick) so users can find what they need/ know options available to them.
“as a deaf user, depending on my experience and exposure to language, I may be led by text, supported by isl, or led by isl supported by text.”
all these users will need sign and text - just the order their require it will be different.

The Alpha site is absolutely wonderful! We love the sign language feature of the video and the read aloud playing one at a time. Is there any way we can share the ‘Detective stick book’ now? What are the next steps?

We tried to download this story on to our bloom reader, but the feature disappears and the video and read-aloud feature happen simultaneously. Do let us know what the next steps are.

We would like to create more sign language books and having this feature is really useful

Hi Teresa,
Thanks for the prompt. We’ll work on getting these changes “downstream” into Bloom Reader for you.

we have this Sign Language Video-before-Talking Book change running now

We’ve deployed this as Bloom Reader 2.3.0.

1 Like