Bug-report on Keyman + IPA (SIL) for Windows

Hallo,

according to documentation
“}” should produce Primary stress: ˈ
“}}” should produce Secondary stress: ˌ
Unfortunately, this doesn’t work: nothing happens.

This refers to:
physical keyboard: German QWERTZ
operating system: Windows 10 Version 20H2; 64-bit
Keyman for Windows 14.0 (Build: 14.0.273.0) + Keyboard IPA (SIL) (Keyboard ID: sil_ipa; Keyboard-Version 1.8.4; last updated: 2020-08-10)

Perhaps it is possible to inform the developers and to solve this tiny problem …
Apart from that: I am all enthusiastic about the possibilties of Keyman!

Regards

anfortas

Hi @anfortas, welcome to the community!

Another user reported this issue to us a few days ago, and we have a fix coming soon. (issue report)

1 Like

Hi Marc,

thanks a bunch for your very quick reply!
The prospect of a fix coming soon is, of course, great news for me.

And sorry for the redundancy of my post. I didn’t realize that another user (Polyglottery) had already mentioned the problem.

Regards

anfortas

1 Like

Absolutely not an issue. It actually helps us to gauge the extent to which a problem is affecting users and to prioritise what we work on.

For me, who will plan to use Dictionary Application for a language using a glottal stop, this issue is very relevant.

Welcome @Jafar!

We’ve just (5 minutes ago) published version 1.8.5 of the SIL IPA keyboard which corrects this issue for German hardware keyboards.

1 Like

Wow, that was fast!
Many thanks to you, Marc, and to Lorna!!

Casual remark on the update process:

The “Keyman for Windows User Guide” states: “If a keyboard with the same name is already installed, Keyman will ask you if you want to replace the old keyboard or cancel the installation.”

But when running the update of SIL IPA (1.8.4 > 1.8.5) within Keyman (Keyman configuration > Download keyboard) I was actually not asked if I wanted to replace the old keyboard (= old version 1.8.4).

Of course, this does not matter at all: The update worked, and now I can use my German hardware keyboard (QUERTZ) to insert IPA symbols for primary and secondary stress.

Thanks a lot.

anfortas

1 Like

You’re welcome!

And I’ve made note of an update to the documentation to bring it in line with the actual version 14.0 behaviour. :slight_smile:

1 Like