Are there How To instructions for very newbee users?

I installed Keyman Desktop 10, the SIL Hebrew keyboard, (sil_hebrew.kmp), and the Ezra SIL 2.51 font. But, the only language that shows up when I click the KeymanDesktop 10 icon is “English (United States) - US”. I don’t know what to expect, or where to look for it.

Are there “how to” instructions anywhere for very new users, people who have never used a keyboard for anything but what’s printed on the keytops?

I want to include Biblical Hebrew in Excel and Word documents, (I have Office 2016), and in webpages, (I use Notepad++). I’m working on a Windows 10 Pro machine.

If you double click on the sil_hebrew.kmp, that should install the Hebrew keyboard into Keyman. Then when you click on the Keyman desktop icon, you should see the Hebrew keyboard to select as well as the default keyboard.

Have you looked at Keyman help?
This page refers to version 9 but it still applies to installing a keyboard in version 10.
https://help.keyman.com/products/desktop/9.0/docs/start_download-install_keyboard.php

Actually, as I look closer, I think there is a configuration problem with the SIL_Hebrew keyboard. I just downloaded and installed it, and like you, it did not show up in my Keyman list when I clicked on the icon.

When you click on Keyman, click on the “Configuration” command on the right side of the pane. You might see like I did the SIL Hebrew keyboard there but it won’t show in the main window. Click the triangle at right to expand the properties display for that keyboard. If the “languages” box is empty, to the left below the keyboard name, you need to add a language. Click the “Add language” button and specify Hebrew. Now close and it should appear in your list of keyboards in the main Keyman window.

Note to developers. It looks like the SIL Hebrew keyboard has the language code “hbo” but Windows 10 does not recognize it. Or is it one of those that needs the script tag as well?

SIL Hebrew does not show up for me in the Configuration dialog, either. But, I rejoice that you’ve seen the problem; it’s not just me failing to do the right thing.

I did install the Ezra SIL Unicode 2.4 keyboard, what the installation dialog warns is the old version, and it does show up.

Will I run into problems if I use the old version until you get the new one working, and then switch to the new one?

Is there another way to get the new one to show up?

Hi @Barry

We’re learning some of the keyboards need to include the script tag for Windows to recognize it.
For SIL Hebrew, try adding the language tag hbo-Hebr-IL

add%20ancient%20hebrew

I just got Hebrew SIL to show up, basically using Steve’s instructions. Keyman Desktop, (the icon in the Windows Taskbar) > Configuration > Keyboard Layouts > Properties, (the triangle) > Add language > English - United States > OK > OK. Then when I clicked the Keyman Desktop icon again, SIL Hebrew was there. What wasn’t working before was that the Keyboard Layouts tab of the Configuration dialog wasn’t selected, and I didn’t know to select it.

@darcy_wong, sorry that doesn’t give me a chance to try your suggestion.

Thank you, both, for giving me your time.

How do I mark this “Solved”?

By-the-way, the Properties table shows SIL Hebrew’s filename as sil_hebrew.kmx, not .kmp. In case that helps you fix the problem of it not showing up after being installed.

The .KMP file is a Keyman package file that can include fonts and documentation along with the keyboard file. The .KMX file is just the compiled keyboard file.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

By the way, updated help is available for Keyman 10 as well: https://help.keyman.com/products/desktop/10.0/docs/start_download-install_keyboard.php. Most topics are the same or similar to the version 9 help. Since version 10 is still in beta for another month, the 10.0 content is still undergoing some edits and won’t become the default until we release Keyman 10.0 stable.