Ancient greek diacritics not working

I am a first time user trying to type in Greek. I follow instructions, and can get smooth breathings on a vowel, but cannot get rough breathings. Using shift+" then vowel does not get the breathing over the vowel . I can get the smooth breathing to work ok. I have similar issues with accents. Suggestions?

Hi @tmcculla Welcome to the Keyman community. Could you please clarify which keyboard you are using? We have a number of different Greek keyboards on our site.

hi Lorna. I am using the keyboard that came with my HP PC. It is set for US(Australia). I downloaded Polytonic Greek from the SIL website, and can type happily Greek writing except for the diacritics (is that the correct word?). I have viewed various Youtube videos and read results from Google but I only partly succeed, as stated above.

Hi @tmcculla,

If you’re using Polytonic Greek (SIL) keyboard, you can get the rough breathing by pressing on h or <.

Read: Polytonic Greek (SIL) Keyboard Help

Please ask if you have more questions.

Have a nice day!

1 Like

Thanks for that. I have discovered my keyboard does not like Greek Polytonic. If I use my keyboard to type QWERTY I get:
(blank)ςερτυ
I have decided to do my typing on my iPad using the Hoplite polytonic keyboard, everything seems to work.
Thanks for your help.

Hi @tmcculla,

I’m glade you figure it out. If you still want to use Greek keyboard on your computer, you can download it from Keyman. It available on any devices and it’s free!

Have a nice day!