Multi-tap or multitaps not working

Continuing the discussion from Keyman 16.0 Beta Release:

I just wanted to highlight this little fact, because today I got stuck on it. A colleague requested two keys with multi-taps, as I had provided in a previous Android system-keyboard (created without Keyman and without Keyboard App Builder).

So when I found the feature in Keyman Developer, I was glad and quickly re-created our classic keyboard behaviour. And then I wasted a long time, trying to figure out why nothing is working.

We are now in December 2023 and Keyman 16 (on my Android) does no longer seem to be in beta status, but I might be wrong.

Please help the developers by including a hint in the Touch Layout window, that this feature is visible but cannot be used on the user end. Thank you.

I could be bold and suggest “or make it work in Keyman”, but I know all about workload. So I really appreciate the fact that multi-tap is coming one day, I do not want to sound negative. Was just frustrated, since I could not figure this out.

I could be bold and suggest “or make it work in Keyman”, but I know all about workload. So I really appreciate the fact that multi-tap is coming one day

epic: new gesture engine 🐵 by mcdurdin · Pull Request #7324 · keymanapp/keyman · GitHub, which includes the implementation of multitaps, is very close to landing on the 17.0 alpha. I’m currently working on its final touches and will try to remember to reply once it lands.

Please help the developers by including a hint in the Touch Layout window, that this feature is visible but cannot be used on the user end. Thank you.

That’s a pretty reasonable request. Even once it is added, older versions of Keyman will not suddenly support multitaps, so some sort of warning to this effect will still be needed. I’ve gone ahead and created feat(developer): warning/feedback about multitap + flick support limitations · Issue #10191 · keymanapp/keyman · GitHub to help us follow up on this.

1 Like

I just want to share that the limited case of doubletaps to jump layers (for example, double tap shift to enable Caps Lock) do work fully in KM 16. The other features will be coming with the work that @joshua_horton is talking about.

1 Like

Great, this is alive. We are routing for you @joshua_horton for realizing this useful feature.

And thank you @Matthew_Lee for giving a taster about Shift. I will go to another thread and write a question there.

This conversation has been resolved.

The new gestures should now be available on the current 17.0 alpha.