Cannot Activate Keyman in Ubuntu

I’ve installed the latest version of Keyman into Ubuntu (Budgie variant) and have been unable to find any way to have keyman turn on to utilize the keyboards. The configuration program works as normal, I’ve installed the SIL-IPA keyboard, but I cannot find any way to have it activate in order to use it; I never see any Keyman icon show up in the system tray. I was able to use Keyman in Mint with no problem. I would appreciate figuring out how to use it.
Ubuntu 22.04.4
Budgie Version 10.6.1
64-bit
Windowing System X11
Keyman 16.0.146-1~sil1~jammy
Ibus-keyman 16.0.146-1~sil1~jammy

I get an error saying "Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situatino or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
onboard-keyman-commong : Breaks: onboard-common
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Welcome back to the community @michaeljbarnes,

We would like to get back to you once we got the result from our test on Keyman with Linux Ubuntu Budgie.

In the meantime, would you like to try to use the terminal to open Keyman Configuration:

Start keyman from the terminal, type km-config

If able to open up Keyman Configuration, the keyboards will show up and allowing the use Keyman keyboards but is this not happening?

Please refer to these topics to get the rest of the information in details:

1. Install but no boundaries on Linux Debian 10
  2. Installing Keyboards with Keyman for Linux

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Good day @EberhardBeilharz,

Would you be able to share your expertise on the topic or if I missed any critical information?

Thank you!

@michaeljbarnes It seems that Budgie doesn’t support multiple keyboards very well out of the box, independently of Keyman. However I was able to get it to work, although the results are not very pretty.

Here’s what I did:

• Add the Keyboard Layout Indicator to the Top Panel: Open budgie-desktop-settings, select “Top Panel”, then click + to add an applet. Select “Keyboard Layout” and click “Add applet”.
  • Now you still have to add the Keyman keyboard (that should happen automatically, but Keyman somehow detects a wrong desktop environment, see issue #11225): Run gnome-control-center keyboard to open the Gnome settings on the Keyboard page. Under “Input Sources” click +. Scroll down to “Other” and click to that. Then type “IPA” in the search field and select “Undetermined (IPA (SIL))”, then click “Add”. Now the IPA keyboard will appear in Keyboard Layout indicator next to the default keyboard (which was “English (US)” for me).
  • I’m not sure, you might have to set the keyboard shortcut if you want to switch keyboards with the keyboard: in the same dialog, click on “View and Customize Shortcuts”, then type “input” in the Search field. Set the desired shortcuts for switching to the next/previous keyboard, e.g. Super+Space and Shift+Super+Space.

With that I’m able to switch between keyboards, either with the shortcut or by selecting a different keyboard in the Keyboard Layout indicator. However, when dropping down the indicator Budgie ignores the name of the keyboard and shows the path to the keyboard instead - not very helpful IMO, but nothing that Keyman can change. Might be worth reporting a bug to Budgie.

Regarding the problems installing onboard-keyman: I didn’t have any problems installing that. Please check your settings. onboard-keyman is a full replacement for onboard, so it is expected that onboard-keyman-common will replace onboard-common. On my system it did that automatically when I installed keyman. You could try to explicitly sudo apt install onboard-keyman. If that doesn’t work you could try to remove onboard and then install onboard-keyman:

sudo apt remove onboard onboard-common onboard-data
sudo apt install onboard-keyman
1 Like

Sorry, I had a long week and wasn’t able to get back to this board to try to do the troubeshooting.

Keyman configuation does open from Terminal. It would actually open correctly from the GUI as well.

I’m going to try the instructions provided by @EberhardBeilharz to see what happens.

1 Like

I followed your instructions and was able to get the keyboard showing up so that I can now switch between keyboards.

Interestingly, now I can access Keyman so that it will activate, but it is not functioning entirely correctly. I can correctly transcribe in LibreOffice, but in OnlyOffice the initiating key is not removed from a transcription (here is an example of transcribing the word “question” in OO [kwʍeɛs.t#͡sʃeən]). As I tried replying to this message and had the keyboard activated, if I tried backspacing, it would not delete all the characters.

I’m starting to question whether Ubuntu-Budgie is worth all this. I’m not a huge fan of Ubuntu in its standard form; I think this may get me switching back to Mint.

I’m waiting for Keyman to work on some other distributions.

1 Like

@michaeljbarnes You’ll need a patched ibus version for backspace to work correctly. You can find that on https://launchpad.net/~keymanapp/+archive/ubuntu/keyman ppa.

To enable that ppa, run add-apt-repository ppa:keymanapp/keyman, then upgrade the packages by running apt upgrade, followed by a reboot.