Windows 10 WORD Unknown Locale (grc-Grek-GR)

When Installing Language Ancient Greek Galaxie Greek (Phonetic) , I get the Unknow Locale in the Language Tab in Word.

This is weird. I’ve tried it on my side and I don’t see this issue. The keyboard language and keyboard names are shown as expected (See the screenshot below).

From the Keyman Configuration, you can choose to select the language of your choice at Keyboard Layouts tab. The Galaxie Greek (Phonetic) shown be shown in the list. Click on the on it to see more details and then right under it you can remove a language by hover your mouse pointer at the language and click on the grey X button. To add a language to the keyboard, click on the Add language button and look for the language of your choice.

Hi @Roger_Greene, welcome to the community!

I think this is happening because Word does not know about the “Ancient Greek (to 1453)” locale – but it should still work. The text will be tagged with grc-Grek-GR which is what you want!

I know this is really old, but I was setting up a new computer and ran across the same thing, did a search and found this discussion. What I found was that I had to add the modern greek and hebrew languages inside the Keyman control panel, then the Galaxie Greek Mnemonic and Galaxie Hebrew Mnemonic showed up as options to switch to and then I could assign my hot keys to switch to the mnemonic versions. Then the MS Word language tab shows “Greek” and “Hebrew” like it’s supposed to. And then you can search a word doc for “Hebrew” or “Greek” if the need arises. I don’t understand what the difference in functionality is between the ancient versions and mnemonic versions. Will it matter if I use the mnemonic versions instead?

Not sure if my screen capture is going to upload, but here it is:

Welcome to the community! I think it should work fine for you. I’m glad you were able to figure it out.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.