What language name to use for a collection?

I just watched an EMDC presentation on Bloom, but got hung up on the first step of setting up the program… in “Create New Bloom Collection” I’m asked to “Choose the main language for this collection” and then given the option to “Change how the language name will be displayed”. The language has two names in frequent use–one a name given by “outsiders” that has stuck, and the other the language community’s preferred autonym. If I choose the “outsider” name, will people be able to find Bloom books in their language if they search by their preferred autonym? Or vice versa? The presenter tried to address this issue, and it didn’t seem possible… I’m kind of at an impasse until I know more. :-\ Any advice appreciated!

Hi Paul,
Go ahead and choose the autonym. You can always change it, and the Bloom Library should list everything by both the autonym and the “English” name.

Thanks John. I created a test book (we did the audio for the “Look, Listen, & Learn” set a number of years ago), but how do I get it to the Bloom Library so I can try to search for it by the language name I chose? Or maybe that’s not where I should put it? Help > Tasks > Publish tab tasks > Share on the Web says, “You can upload your book or shell to BloomLibrary (on the web) so other people can download it and localize it into their own language.” My intent is not to do this so others can localize the translation our team produced into their own language–I only want people from the language to be able to read it… And yet, that’s where I find a lot of other books in various languages. Confused… :woozy_face:

My intent is not to do this so others can localize the translation our team produced into their own language–I only want people from the language to be able to read it…

Before you upload your books, you’ll sign into Bloom Library. Once you upload your books, follow the link Bloom gives you to find the book (i.e. the URL). Since you are signed in and you are the uploader of the book, you will be able to control which format buttons are available for each book.

In your case, you’ll “Hide” the button for download for translation.

“You can upload your book or shell to BloomLibrary (on the web) so other people can download it and localize it into their own language.”

Oh, thank you so much for pointing that out. We have been trying hard to combat that antiquated view of Bloom Library for some time now, and you found that our own documentation still promotes it!

Well, when I hover over “Share on the Web” on the Publish tab, the ‘tooltip’ shows much the same thing:
[I’m using the Linux version 4.8.139, if that makes a difference.]

Well, when I hover over “Share on the Web” on the Publish tab, the ‘tooltip’ shows much the same thing:

Thanks again Paul!

I “Signed Up” on the Bloom Library page, got an e-mail notification, verified with the link, and then went back to the Bloom Library web page and “Signed In”. That worked. However, in Bloom, on the Publish tab, when I select “Share on the Web” there’s a hyperlink off to the right that says, “Log in to BloomLibrary.org”. When I try to use the credentials I created for the Bloom Library web page, I’m told that “Password and user ID did not match”… I assume the password and user ID would be the same as those I used for the website?
For some reason, I’m facing my share of hurdles to get going with this… Thanks for working with me to get over them.

Hi Paul,
Yes, that should work. I just tested with a spare email address, and it worked fine for me. One of us can reach out to schedule a time to share a screen and walk you through it. To start that process, please report a problem using Help:Report a problem. Tell us the email that you used.