Virus in Desktop 15?

I know this is similar to a previous report last October about Desktop 14. And here it’s still McAfee doing the virus-reporting. However, the virus-ID is different here, and McAfee’s reaction seems somewhat different; so, I’m going to report this, as I don’t want a bug infecting me…

July 15, I downloaded Desktop version 15.0.266 for Windows (10). AFTER installation, McAfee suddenly reported that it had quarantined this file:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Keyman\Keyman Desktop\sentry-0.4.9\crashpad-handler.exe”
The virus McAfee reported was:
JTI/Suspect.196612!15c799934aaf

Then, on July 29, I tried to download version 15.0.267 (probably updating from within the Keyman app?). As soon as I told Windows that yes, Keyman could modify my computer, I got a message from McAfee that it had just caught a “fileless” kind of malware trying to do something and had taken care of the problem. THAT WAS ALL, the install didn’t actually happen:
“We caught something trying to hijack one of your apps. Don’t worry, we took care of it.”

At which point, I clicked on Keyman Configuration, and Windows went through a minute or two of re-“configuring Keyman 15.0.266” for me. And – McAfee came back with the VERY SAME REPORT as before (see above, 2022-07-15) – reporting the same virus.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated!

Yes, McAfee anti-virus software is causing us a bit of trouble at present. We’ve reported a false positive with crashpad-handler.exe, but have not yet heard back (which reminds me, I need to follow-up on this). You may also find it helpful to submit the crashpad-handler.exe file as a false positive, following the instructions at https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS103032&page=shell&shell=article-view

McAfee anti-virus also seems to be the only anti-virus software that has been tripping up on Keyman – we haven’t seen reports of this with other anti-virus software for quite some time.

It’s frustrating but we’re pretty certain that the installer is virus free. The build systems are dedicated systems on a secured network, and the files are all signed at build time so there can be no chance of them being modified later.

I don’t know what they mean by “something trying to hijack one of your apps”? If there are any logs you can find that report what the “hijack” was, that might help us to determine the cause of the problem. As Keyman does interact with keyboard input with all apps, it is possible that they are seeing our hooks into the keyboard input queue and thinking that that is unwanted?

McAfee is still quarantining the crashpad handler.

The referenced instructions at “How to submit false positives to McAfee (TS103032)” do not provide me, a user, any way to report this kind of problem. Instructions for websites and links only.

They do link to a page for you: “Dispute a Detection & Allowlisting Data”.

Thanks for letting us know, @bnevin. I’ve submitted the false positive report to McAfee again on that link, and hopefully we’ll have more success this time!

I’ve received an email from McAfee telling me that the file has been whitelisted, so hopefully this is finally resolved!

1 Like

As of about a week ago it was still quarantining it, so I uninstalled McAfee. I’m home again. I’ll reinstall McAfee and see.

1 Like

Turns out the crashpad_handler executable is in two locations:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Keyman\Keyman Desktop\sentry-0.4.9\crashpad_handler.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Keyman\Keyman Developer\sentry-0.4.9\crashpad_handler.exe

Users whitelist them locally:

1. Open your McAfee security software.
  2. On the left menu, click the My Protection Widgets icon in McAfee security software for Windows tab.
  3. Under Protect your PC, click Real-Time Scanning.

4.NOTE:* The files that you exclude under this menu will also be excluded from On-Demand, Scheduled, and command-line scanning.

1. Under Excluded Files, click Add file.
  2. Browse to, and select, the file that you want to exclude from being scanned.
  3. Repeat the process as needed to exclude multiple files from being scanned.

After making these changes, the files are excluded from all scanning in your McAfee software.

Source document for this procedure:

https://www.mcafee.com/support/?locale=en-US&articleId=TS102056&fromSearch=true&page=shell&shell=article-view

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.