Using fonts in PDFs in a way that complies with the Open Font License

I understand that I am allowed to use fonts licensed under the Open Font License in PDFs. However, I want to do it in a way that complies with the OFL and some things remain pretty unclear to me. Even if I never had any intention to redistribute fonts through a PDF, as the OFL FAQ 1.15 states:

“Certain document formats may allow the inclusion of an unmodified font within their file structure which may consist of a compressed folder containing the various resources forming the document (such as pictures and thumbnails). Including fonts within such a structure is understood as being different from embedding but rather similar to bundling (or mere aggregation) which the license explicitly allows. In this case the font is conveyed unchanged whereas embedding a font usually transforms it from the original format. […] Even if the font travels inside the document as one of its assets, it should not lose its authorship information and licensing.”

When I open a PDF in Acrobat Reader I can find which fonts are present inside it. And it is pretty clear in the abovementioned FAQ that it is legally a technical matter, not one of intention. Which leads me to three questions :

1.) Could the creation of PDFs, or certain kinds of PDFs (e.g. ones that contain searchable text), generally or using certain softwares, add the font to the document in a way that would make mention of the font’s copyright and license necessary to comply with the OFL?

2.) Is there any way that I can check whether the copyright and licensing information remained present, in a way that complies with the OFL, in the version of the font that is inside a PDF ?

3.) If the answer to question 2 is no, where and how do I add the fonts’ copyright and licensing information to comply with the OFL in case of doubt?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions!

Hello Vince,

Fonts embedded in PDFs are transformed in such a way that extraction and use of the font outside that PDF is technically difficult and clearly not intended. That is part of the PDF format and is true whatever tools are used. Searchable text does not change the way fonts are embedded. Adding the copyright and license to the PDF is not required.

If you would like to acknowledge the font creator there are places in the PDF metadata that could contain notes or other text. but that is not required.

Hi Victor, thank you for your quick reply and for your explanations!

Perhaps might be helpful to also clarify things in relation to OOXML (ISO/IEC 29500)?

I believe the bundle-like format scenario is handled by FAQ entry 1.15.

1.15 What about distributing fonts with a document? Within a compressed folder structure? Is it distribution, bundling or embedding?
Certain document formats may allow the inclusion of an unmodified font within their file structure which may consist of a compressed folder containing the various resources forming the document (such as pictures and thumbnails). Including fonts within such a structure is understood as being different from embedding but rather similar to bundling (or mere aggregation) which the license explicitly allows. In this case the font is conveyed unchanged whereas embedding a font usually transforms it from the original format. The OFL does not allow anyone to extract the font from such a structure to then redistribute it under another license. The explicit permission to redistribute and embed does not cancel the requirement for the Font Software to remain under the license chosen by its author(s). Even if the font travels inside the document as one of its assets, it should not lose its authorship information and licensing.

I also believe that 1.15 covers OOXML and similar types of embedding.