Using additional reserved font names

I am considering creating a derivative of a font released under the Latex Project Public License (LPPL), but I would like to use OFL for the derivative. LPPL allows for using a different license for a derived product under certain conditions. I think I can follow these conditions if I add an additional reserved font name, i.e. for an original font “FOO” I would use something like

Copyright © <dates>, <FOO Copyright Holder> (<URL|email>),
with Reserved Font Name FOO.

Copyright © <dates>, <myself> (<URL|email>).

This Font Software is licensed under the SIL Open Font License, Version 1.1.

Or

Copyright © <dates>, <FOO Copyright Holder> (<URL|email>),
Copyright © <dates>, <myself> (<URL|email>).
with Reserved Font Name FOO.

This Font Software is licensed under the SIL Open Font License, Version 1.1.

Does that make sense from the point of view of the OFL? Can I add a reserved name to (hopefully) fulfill the conditions of another license?

Hi. Your question is really about the LPPL, not the OFL - whether the OFL with an RFN meets the conditions of the LPPL, and how you acknowledge that permission. I can’t really give you an opinion on that. You should probably talk to the maintainer of the LPPL.

Normally you can’t take a non-OFL font and relicense it under the OFL unless you are the copyright holder. There may be licenses that permit relicensing under certain conditions, but how that might work depends on the individual details of that other license.

Thanks for the reply. LPPL does indeed allow relicensing under different terms, but requires certain conditions for that. It is my interpretation, that adding such an additional reserved font name would honor these conditions, but I will have to check that separately.