Unable to launch Dictionary App Builder: ClassNotFoundException when trying to start DAB

A friend has been trying without success to get DAB 3.1 installed on Windows 10. The JRE, JDK and Android SDK are all installed but when he runs the Dictionary App Builder icon from the desktop absolutely nothing happens. When I run java -version from the command line then it shows Java 1.8u181 is installed. When I try running the jar file from the command line I’m given a ClassNotFoundException (would more details help?) The same behaviour happens whether it’s DAB 2.0 3.0 or 3.1 on Windows 10.

DAB (2.0) works fine on my own system.

I wonder if there are any Java runtime options or security settings which might be relevant.

Given the ClassNotFoundException being thrown it seems different from the case here:/t/i-am-unable-to-launch-dictionary-app-builder/421/2 and also Java 9 was never installed as far as I can see.

Search for dab.bat and try and run that. Usually here: C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Dictionary App Builder\dab.bat If that works then Java is not associated with .jar files due to something else on their system.

Some useful stuff is here: https://github.com/SILAsiaPub/AppBuilder-workaround#4-app-icon-on-desktop-when-clicked-does-not-start-sab-