Tirhuta script Keyboard layout

Namaste!
I am working on Trihuta Script font design. (Unicode Range: 11480–114DF). It is the traditional script for writing the Sanskrit and Maithili language (India and Nepal). It was replaced by Devanagari in the 20th century.
In the font design application, I am unable to type the characters. I could not find any keyboard support for the Tirhuta script.
So, I was exploring Keyman for designing the keyboard layout. While assigning the key values, the character map does not show the icons for the given Unicode value. How to resolve this?
Please let me know if a keyboard layout for the Tirhuta script exists?
I hope to get a suitable resolution.
Thank you.
Regards.

Welcome to the forum

So, I was exploring Keyman [Developer] for designing the keyboard layout. While assigning the key values, the character map does not show the icons for the given Unicode value. How to resolve this?

You’ll need to tell Keyman Developer which installed font to use for rendering Tirhuta characters.

Fonts & keyboards that we’re aware of would normally be listed at
https://scriptsource.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=wrSys_detail_font&key=mai-Tirh-IN

But I see the the download link to the Tirhuta Lipi font is no longer valid.

I found an alternative Unifont but the characters are very pixellated.

To associate a font in Keyman Developer

• On the character map, right-click on a character → Font…
  • In the font dropdown, select your Tirhuta font

1 Like

Thank you @darcy, it worked.

Once you have the keyboard in good shape we would be happy to assist you if you wish to submit it to our Keyman repository for others to use.

For a script like Tirhuta, it would also be important to distribute a font with the keyboard since I’m not finding any Unicode font online for Tirhuta.

1 Like

Would a Noto font work to distribute with the keyboard? The Noto website at https://www.google.com/get/noto/ does not seem to have a font for this script, but the Noto GitHub repo does at https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-fonts/tree/master/phaseIII_only/hinted/ttf/NotoSansTirhuta

1 Like

Thank you @Lorna. I would be glad to share the Tirhuta keyboard and font for others. Please let me know.

Thank you @bobby for sharing this. This will be very useful.

Namaste!
I have made one Tirhuta Keyboard Layout. When I am trying to install it on the android phone following message appears:
Package failed to install
No Keyboard or predictive text to install

Screenshot_20200411-134253|658x500

Please guide how to resolve this.
Thank you.

1 Like

This is from the guide for creating keyboard packages

If your package includes .js touch layout keyboards, you can associate fonts and languages in the Keyboards tab. A valid BCP 47 language tag must be set or the keyboard will not install on your mobile device.

If you haven’t set a language tag, Keyman won’t know which language to associate with the keyboard, so the installation fails.

1 Like

Hi. Any success in designing a keyboard with Tirhuta font. Please let me know if you have developed one. I would like to use in my android phone.

Did you ever get the Tirhuta keyboard working? We would like to distribute it on the Keyman repo if you are willing. Contact me by DM if so.

1 Like

I am creating a transliteration based Keyman keyboard for Tirhuta script. Visit Malar Tirhuta to try it. If it will be successful, I would submit to keyman repository.

2 Likes

I’ve developed a Tirhuta keyboard and want to upload in keyman repo. Plz guide me to do so. I’ve tested it on android & it works. Although Android doesn’t support Tirhuta script natively.

You could start with this page: Guide: Working with the Keyman Cloud Keyboard Repository
At the bottom of that page, choose one of the two options: Advanced Keyboard Submission Guide or GitHub Keyboard Submission Guide.

If you have any questions, please ask! (And let us know if the documentation can be improved.)

1 Like

I’m unable to submit a github pull a request. Could you please help me to upload my keyboard in keyman repo?

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.