The voul don't change the ge'ez consonant

The vouls are not working to change the feature of the consonants.
This happens for I am working with special software. That is: Cycling74.com, and the software annexed to this are: Max MSP Jitter.
I am looking to this font for I wanted to edit the ge’ez alphabet on that software.
Thanks for you attention.

Welcome to the community.

This sounds like a bug. @marc please look into this when time allows.

@Beran For the time being, you might want to work on the text outside the app rather than edit it within the app.

Hi @Beran,

I’ve tested with Cycling74 Max but so far have not been able to reproduce the problem. Are you able to describe the issue in more detail, including step-by-step how to show us the problem?

Hi Marc,

I appreciated your input on this matter and now we can talk about the issue of the Abyssinia alphabet. I am glad also you tried with the Max 8, the product of Cycling74.com.

My goals are not to move critics, but to forward a trial and error if solutions are available.

Before writing this message, right at this time, I went back to the Max 8 hoping to be successful, but I am at the previous point.

I experienced a worse scenario. I opened the “Unicode support” before typing the Abyssinia alphabet. But the results are: the curser doesn’t move a bit, always at the beginning point, and there is no alphabet written to it.
Before contradicting myself, at my previous letter, I edited in MSOffice the messages and pasted into the Max 8.

Therefore, I need the Ge’ez alphabet for I am writing a book of music-songs. I am looking to work smoothly to attract people in reading and playing the notes at the same time.

I would like to know how you succeeded, because I want to edit my program in a good style. I send my cellphone to chat on this matter by “whatisup, zoom or else”

I appreciate any of your support.

With kind regards,

Fr. Berhanemeskel
00 251 91302 6625 cellphone

I think the problem is I am unfamiliar with Max 8 so I am not sure where you are experiencing this problem. Are you able to share screenshots showing where the problem arises? Or perhaps @makara, you could organise a remote screen share session with @Beran so you can observe the issue?

Ok , we can set a time to chat, dear. I will be back with you.

I appreciated your input,

Fr Berhanemeskel

Dear Marc,

I would love to share the screen to show you the inconvenient issue.
What is the good time for you to communicate with me? Please, give me few options so we can with issue.

A critical issue was to find good source of bandwidth. Sorry for the delay.

I am located in Ethiopia, a 3 GMT.

I appreciate your input.

Yours,

Fr. Berhanemeskel M. Embaye

Unfortunately, my next week is already very full. @makara would you be able to work with @Beran to find a good time for the two of you to look at the problem together next week?

I appreciated your input, dear SIL Software group.

We have big differences in GPM. Mine is +3 GPM and this time could be better. I’m right now 5:00 pm.

Let’s have some point of communication. I’m in the chatroom of "whatisup " @ “IMO” @ “ZOOM” WITH THE TELEPHONE LINE NUMBER OF 07120714.

WITH KIND REGARDS.

Fr Berhane

Berhane,

SIL Ethiopia’s office is in Ayer Tena, if you are in the Addis area. We would be happy to meet you.

Could you please contact Musie Menna at 0913 23 56 75 or at musie_menna@sil.org? He is not a developer but is a Language Technology Consultant and the IT Director and should be able to meet with you to better understand the problem. In some cases we have needed to use a locally developed keyboarding solution for some Windows installations (especially if Windows is older or non-genuine). Certainly Keyman is the best and will be his first try to diagnose the issue.

Regards from Ethiopia,

Rik (unfortunately I am leaving in 2 weeks so I won’t be able to meet you personally)

1 Like

@rik-shaw This is great, but from Keyman’s side, a contact has been established to try and figure out the culprit of the issue via Zoom in 5 hours. :slight_smile:

It turns out that neither Keyman for Windows nor Keyman keyboards were installed. The system keyboard of Trigrinya was installed and not working with the Max 8.

After installing Keyman 14 and GFF Ge'ez and SIL Ethiopic Power G keyboard, Berhane can type in the language without any issue in Max 8 and MS Office.

However, Berhane has some personal comments on the design of the keyboard. Since I don’t know the language at all, it would be better that the SIL Ethiopia’s office take it from here.

I thank Makara who straighten the issue of Ge’ez alphabet in the Max-8 software. I agree that there were uninstalled software.
I also presented some update issue of the “Ge’ez Music Note” which I was interested into and these were presented properly on the SIL program. Thanks the company who made these symbols available.

I have an issue on the general structure of the Ge’ez alphabet, namely the representation of a normal kick of a key. Example, on the SIL the key strike is based on the 1st order (from the 7 orders) of Ge’ez alphabet, while the previous Ge’ez Unicode is on the 6th order (from the 7 orders) of the Ge’ez alphabet.

I shared with Makara about the above issue, and he said it’s the matter of Keyman structures to which, he said, I have to deal with it personally. I hope to work with such coordination to better edit the typing style of our country.

Berhane,

Glad to hear you are making progress. As you note, the SIL Ethiopic Power G keyboard will make the 1st form of the Saba digraphs when first pressing the consonant key. This design is intended to mimic the preferred Power Ge'ez method that is common in the wider Ethiopian community. If you prefer the 6th form to be created by the first press of the consonant key, then you want to find and install the SIL Ethiopic keyboard which does this exactly as you wish. In fact it is our preferred method, but again with many only familiar with Power Ge'ez approach we wanted to have a keyboard they would be comfortable with.

In Keyman you can download the additional keyboard by clicking “Download” and then searching for SIL Ethiopic. Here is a direct link you can access from your web browser: SIL Ethiopic keyboard If you select “Install” and choose to open in Keyman hopefully it will directly install for you.

For both the SIL Ethiopic and the SIL Ethiopic Power G keyboards you can find (and print) keyboard charts by choosing “Help” in Keyman when you have the keyboard selected.

Please keep us updated, and also please give Musie a call when you get a chance. We would like to make sure you are able to accomplish the work you are doing.

Rik

Makara, thank you very much for the assistance in helping Berhane get this far!

The thing is that the keyboard works as indicated in the help documentation and per author’s intend. Keyman provides the tools possible to create and use keyboards. When it comes to the specificity of a keyboard configuration, it is best to reach out to the keyboard author.

@rik-shaw You are welcome. :slight_smile:

Since the issue has been fixed and @Beran can use the keyboard in the intended application, this thread is now marked as resolved.

It is worth checking out the GFF Amharic keyboard as well.

Dear rik-shaw, I spoke on the phone with Musie_menna, he said he is out of the city.

I think, as marked on the posted message, major technical part of my questions are solved. However, for future contacts it is good I meet him personally, and that will be a good support especially for the upcoming updates of my research.

Selam Fr. Berhanemeskel,

I regret finding your message late. I would like to recommend the 3 tutorial videos for typing the Ge’ez Music Notes in Microsoft Word. The tutorial shows all of the steps needed to prepare Word and demonstrates typing with the GFF Ge'ez Keyboard.

1. Part 1: Prepare Microsoft Windows for Typing Zaima Miliket (ዜማ ምልክት) - YouTube
  2. Part 2: Configure Microsoft Word to Type Zaima Miliket (ዜማ ምልክት) - YouTube
  3. Part 3: Basic Zaima Miliket (ዜማ ምልክት) Typing in Microsoft Word - YouTube

I am very happy to hear your reply on regard to the new avenue of the Geez alphabet especially for the Geez notes (Geez-Milikit). Both topics are of my research interests for a sound solution to our beloved Geez language, chants (Zema), the alpha-scripts as well as music-scripts.

I had checked those lengthy files of Ge’ez songs and saved them already, and your reply refreshed my memory and I’m glad to know that we are on the same track.

I will be back with you in the community chatroom on the alphabets and the notes (musical) alphabet issues. In short it is to say that partial and at some point basic rules of the algorithm used to represent the Ge’ez alphabet and Ge`ez musical notations system, could be better managed. Later in a separate post I will raise a motion.

I’m involved with the study of alphabets and music-notes because I am conducting a research on the Ge’ez liturgical music (the Zema-Ge’ez or Ge’ez-Music). And that is to edit the MILIKIT, traditional music notation system, into a professional European notation system. So, my goals are to write the Ge’ez script and the Ge’ez music-scripts using the Max MSP in a smoother way. Hope to take advantage of your valid support in both modals.

1 Like