The OSL License Terms

Greetings,

I have a question pertaining to the usage of fonts that are licensed under OFL. To make this message concise and clear, I will attempt to be as specific as possible. I intend to start a t-shirt business using fonts licensed under the OFL, however, I am struggling to decipher the terms of the license. My main question is over what constitutes as modifications. Am I allowed to alter the font by adding highlights, shadows, and outlines to make a design on a t-shirt that is appealing? For instance, if I use the font and type out a word or phrase that I plan to place on a t-shirt to sell, but alter the appearance of the font by changing its size, adding an outline, and/or shadows, will that be regarded as modifications in which is not permitted? My initial comprehension of the terms was that I am allowed to make modifications, in regards to the appearance of the font (graphic changes,) and sell products, which in my case is t-shirts, but I cannot resell the font software itself.

I did refer to FAQ Entry 1.1, 1.1.2, and 1.1.3, however, I found the phrase, “It is only when you redistribute, bundle or modify the font itself that other conditions of the license have to be respected (see below for more details)” unclear. When it states “the font itself,” does that refer to the software and not the design I will be making using the font which is going to be sold on a physical object and not digitally?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Sarah Ann,
I think that your reading of the license is correct: “I am allowed to make modifications, in regards to the appearance of the font (graphic changes,) and sell products, which in my case is t-shirts, but I cannot resell the font software itself.”

You can freely use those fonts for Tee Shirts, no matter what design you come up with. A design on a Tee Shirt or in a document or presentation isn’t modifying the font and then redistributing it. All the best with your business.