Tangsa Lakhum mobile installation problems

I’m fairly new to Keyman Developer, using that on Windows 10.

I built a layout for the language Tangsa the Lakhum script, which is new in Unicode 14 . The script is in the Supplementary Multilingual Plane (SMP). The KeyMan project contains a Unicode font for the writing system.

The desktop layout works just fine for Mac and Windows. However, there are problems installing a touchscreen version on Android.

Trying the touchscreen version using my phone (Android) in the test mode (via 192.168..) works great. It shows the keyboard with the expected characters in the Tangsa Lakhum script. The long press characters work, and the keycaps show the characters as expected.

However, installing this on my Android by loading the .kmp file in the KeyMan app shows only the Latin keyboard A-Z. However, the characters created are the Tangsa Lakhum letters. And the long press options have also disappeared. Very curious and frustrating.

Two collaborators experience the same problems on their mobile devices!

I did get Tangsa Lakhum keyboard added to KeyMan’s repository a few weeks ago, with kind help and comments from reviewers. That version does not have the touchscreen layout. Could this be interacting with the KMP installation?

I will be happy to share screen shots of this behavior and also the .kmp.

Thanks for any ideas on solving this.

1 Like

Hi @CraigC :slight_smile:

Apart from making sure you recompiled the package after adding the touch layout, I am not sure off the top of my head what is going on. It seems unlikely that there would be interactions with the version that was added to the Keyman keyboards repo.

Could you share the source files and the .kmp as a zip (via private message on the forum)?

Unicode 14 has not been released yet. Maybe some library needs to be updated for Unicode 14. But that is just a guess.

I think I’ve shared a link to my source code. I am not allowed to add files to this site being a “new user”.

@CraigC, I tried to open your drive link and wasn’t able to access it – I requested access a couple of days ago.

Thanks for taking a look. Sorry to be slow to grant access!

Thanks for sharing the folder. I took a look, and I think that the problem is that you renamed some files but the package still refers to the old files. I’d recommend going through and removing all the old files (I think tangsa_lakhum_unicode.* is the most recent name).

Once I removed the old files from the .kps and added tangsa_lakhum_unicode.js and tangsa_lakhum_unicode.kmx files, then the keyboard displayed as expected in the Keyman app.

I should note that we don’t recommend using the words “keyboard” or “unicode” in the name or ID of the keyboard – they’re kinda redundant and can make some UI messages a little harder to understand.

(Also don’t use version numbers or punctuation etc in the ID (filename) – Preliminary Step: Is Your Keyboard Ready?).

We did use tangsa_lakhum for the keyboard filenames for what is in github. So, remember to use those files as a starting place and then slot in your new mobile layout rather than starting from an older version of your project.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.