Suggestions: switch ɬ and ł character in FV hən̓q̓əmin̓əm keyboard (Android, Windows and KeymanWeb) and make χ available on Android

Hello,

I’m an uninvited occupant of Coast Salish Territory, and I’m new to the community. I have been learning hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ in order to be able to learn the traditional names for the territory around me, and I was hoping to suggest a change to the FV hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ keyboard layout.
I use this keyboard layout on Android (version 10.0.508), Windows (Keyman Desktop 10) and KeymanWeb.

On KeymanWeb and Windows, the current layout maps the 9 key to ł while ɬ is mapped to Right-Alt + L. To my understanding, ɬ is used far more commonly in hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ than ł.
On Android, only ł (and ƛ̓ and l̓, which are used) appears and I am not able to type ɬ at all on either of the versions of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm/Henqeminem keyboard.

I could be wrong, I am a new learner - but, for example, only ɬ and not ł appears on the language resource by the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) Nation, who speak hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓, and the Museum of Anthropology [Google “Musqueam” “Educational Materials” and follow the first link - I am unable to paste a URL here], and the IPA sound value of ɬ is closer to the represented sound in the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ language.

It may therefore improve ease of use to switch these two, such that on Windows/KeymanWeb, the more commonly used ɬ maps to the 9 key, and ł maps to Right-Alt + L, and that on Android, only ɬ, ƛ̓ and l̓ appear but not ł (or leave it there in case some still wish to use it).

Similarly, it may help to move the χ to a more easily accessible keystroke on Windows/KeymanWeb, and find a way to include χ on Android (it doesn’t currently appear but could perhaps be added as a long-press option for x).

I understand that this keyboard was likely developed in consultation with First Nations peoples, and as this is not my own culture, I am not in any position to speak on behalf of hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speakers - please let me know if there’s a more appropriate person to contact regarding this suggestion.

hay čxʷ q̓ə Thank you very much for the work you do.

Thank you for the feedback. We’ll pass this on to the keyboard developer responsible for the FirstVoices layouts!

Thank you so much! I’m still unable to paste links, but they are free to message me if they need. :slight_smile: