Source for the Yiddish Pasekh keyboard?

Is there any access to the source code for the Yiddish Pasekh keyboard. I have some modifications in mind, to indicate capital letters in Yiddish by bold characters.

The keyboard is currently under the freeware license. I’ll check with the author to see if we can change the license to MIT and then make the source available.

That’s great. Here’s hoping.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

BG

I still haven’t heard back, but I pinged the author again. Can you tell me what you mean about uppercase and bold? Since Hebrew doesn’t have uppercase I’m not understanding what you intend. Also, we don’t have the ability to bold characters with Keyman.

I know Yiddish and Hebrew do not have capital letters. But that is a
drawback: how to distinguish (from Tolkien, e.g.) The Last Homely
House from the last homely house.

So in my translation  work, I've taken to use an initial bold letter

to indicate upper case. As it stands with the Pasekh Keyboard, I
have to go back and make the initial letter bold “manually”.

With the keyboard source, I could try to automate that, e.g., with

some special character, say , I could convertג into
ctrl-b/ג/ctrl-b (using Word), thereby bolding the ג.

I'm not sure how straightforward that might be, but it's totally a

moot point without the keyboard source.

Thanks.

BG

Ok, I now have permission from the author to move the license from freeware to MIT. I’ll be doing that. However, you’ll have to make your own private keyboard because we would not want to include anything in the keyboard like ctrl-b. Other enhancements to the keyboard that don’t include formatting could be considered.

Of course. Please let me know when and where to find the keyboard
source.

Thanks very much.

BG

Keyman does not support sending keystrokes such as Ctrl+B. There are some old undocumented and unsupported keystroke output (aka “virtual key output”) code paths*, but they don’t work with Word, because the integration with Word works directly with the text, not by sending keystrokes to the application. So this approach won’t work.

You could consider writing a Word macro that bolds the first letter of the last word you typed – this would mean you could type the word then press e.g. Ctrl+Alt+B (or whatever hotkey you assign), and that would avoid excessive interruptions to the flow of input.

(*) The virtual key output code paths will be removed in a future version of Keyman. We don’t support virtual key output, it currently only works with some applications on Windows, and no other platforms, and there are inconsistencies in how well it works even in Windows.

Amen – Thanks.

BG

We have an updated keyboard available here: https://keyman.com/keyboards/yiddish_pasekh
I believe I’ve enhanced the documentation as requested.

I’d still like to take a look at the source for the yiddish_pasekh
keyboard. But if the author remains proprietary, …

I'm not sure what documentation you're speaking of.

BG

The link above has a link to documentation and to the source files.

Ah! Wonderful – I’ve got it.

Thanks very much.

BG

Two minor points on the documentation.

1. I read it as saying you can type “iy” at the beginning of the word to get יִי without the shtumer aleph, but that isn’t how it works. To get יִי with no shtumer aleph at the beginning of the word you type Iy (Shift-i y)
  2. The shtumer aleph in the middle of the word you get by Shift A. Shift T + A gives תּא

Yes, thanks. I’ve been using the keyboard for quite a few years,
version 8 (I tried later versions and found the keyboard screwed up,
and since V8 works and I’m used to it, I reverted).

It doesn't seem to recognize and automatically switch to Y or E

according to the text it’s in anymore, but that’s probably the fault
of the later version of Word.

BG

Apparently there are limits to your support emails, only one
attachment at a time and no kps files? Ok, so here’s the first
attachment.

You should be able to upload a zip file to the forum if you visit this topic in your web browser rather than via email.

However, the file you are showing in your screenshot is not the source file. That’s a web page that you’ve saved – looks like a web page showing the source file. To download the source files, right-click on the (Raw) button and select “Save link as”:

For example, on the page: https://github.com/keymanapp/keyboards/blob/master/release/y/yiddish_pasekh/source/yiddish_pasekh.kps

The screenshot shows the source and the erroneous line.

Maybe worry less about the limitations of your forum and answer my

question.

What is wrong with the source file that I DID DOWNLOAD via Save link

as?

Thanks.

Please do remember that everyone who responds to your questions on the forum is a volunteer.

I did answer your question already: you did not download the source file. You downloaded a web page. Here’s what I wrote above:

The file you are showing in your screenshot is not the source file. That’s a web page that you’ve saved – looks like a web page showing the source file. To download the source files, right-click on the (Raw) button and select “Save link as”.

To elaborate a little further, you need to click on the file name and view that web page in GitHub, and then you will see a (Raw) button at the top of the file which you can right-click in order to download the source file. You do need all the source files from the folder on GitHub in order to compile the keyboard.

If you want to update the welcome.htm file to say what you think it should say and email it to me, I’d be happy to at least make sure the online help file is updated. Obviously, I tried to update the documentation, but it wasn’t sufficient to what you are wanting.