Solution: Nothing appearing in Song Index list, unable to navigate past beginning of book in the app

This also applies to SAB.

I had a song book in a Word document that appeared to be properly formatted, and when I added it to the App Builder, I selected the “Song Book” option, but when I tried to run the app, I couldn’t get past the beginning of the document. When I checked the App Builder, I clicked on the book in the tree on the left, and then selected the Song Index tab. Both Songs by Number and Songs by Title subtabs were entirely blank.

I saved the document as a .doc and then as a .docx. When I added that document to the App Builder, it worked normally.

Not sure what the bug was, but this fix worked.

The original document had been edited while on Google Drive. Weather it was edited using Google’s Docs editor or Microsoft’s Word editor for browsers, I’m not sure. Not sure if that could be a cause.

I know lots of people can’t handle this, but if you want a smoother path, then start in SFM and not in Word. You eliminate a lot of complexities.

Thank you Ian.

I inherited the hymnal in .docx format, with the SFM marked as styles in Word. I have often thought about switching to plain SFM, but don’t know how to do that conversion. Is there a resource that explains how to do this?

Also, I find it handy to be able to add highlights and comments. I highlighted all commas and periods that require a time stamp, and make a note when the recording varies from the text. Although, I think there is a way to make comments using SFM, yes?

Thanks!

RAB can generate the SFM from the imported DOCX. Click on the hymn book so the right side gives the details for that book only. On the right select the source tab. There you will see an Export SFM button.

Comments in SFM are generally handled with a \rem market. It is a paragraph level marker not an inline marker.

If you have particular things that are inline to format differently then check out the USFM documentation. (Answering offline can’t check link.)

But you can makeup your own.

“hello \special world\special* today”

But then you need to add all the special styling that you need for that markup.

Thanks so much Ian!

Wow, I had no idea that it was so easy! Thanks for including that tool!

This post of yours from 2018 is quite handy, with links. Thanks!