Set font along with keyboard

I love the ability to change to a different keyboard with a hot key.
Is there a way to designate a particular font when doing this?
The default for the Devanagari Unicode [US] is Mangal, but Nirmal UI is a better font IMHO.

Thank you for an excellent product!

The way fonts are chosen depends on the application you are using – it isn’t part of the keyboarding system, but part of the display or document system.

If you are using Word, you can create a macro to swap both font and keyboard at the same time. For other applications, it can vary. Which application(s) are you using?

Thank you, Marc.

I am using an older version of Word (2003). I set up Macros to change both the font and the keyboard. Oddly, the MS Word Macro does not change the keyboard properly, but only the font.

I am having to apply two steps. I have not found a way to handle in one:

1. Set the font (using MS Word macro)
  2. Set the keyboard (using Keyman hotkey)

Thank you again for your help! It is a wonderful product. I did not see a way to contribute. I would like to do that.

Best,

David

Which version of the macros are you using? The ones that reference “Keymanapi” or the ones that use a numeric identifier for the language?

Glad we can serve! There is a donation link on www.sil.org or you can visit the following direct link:
https://www.givedirect.org/donate/?cid=13536. Select “Language Software” from the Program Menu in the form and add “Keyman” into the comment field.

I am just using the macros within MS Word. I am using an older version - 2003. So I am creating a new macro by selecting Tools / Macro / Record new macro. It sets the font correctly, but does not set the keyboard, even though as part of the macro, I selected the keyboard from the taskbar.

Thank you for the donation link : )

I see. The issue you are having is that the Word macro recorder only captures events from within the Word application – and switching languages is an event that takes place outside the context of the Word application. You can follow the instructions in the link I provided (https://help.keyman.com/kb/93) to edit the macro and add the language switching command into that.

Dear Marc,

Since I am using a 32-bit application (Word 2003), would I use this approach?

Do I include both macros       or do you choose one of the methods below?

1.     Keyman COM API access in Visual Basic for Applications

2.       You can create a macro that toggles the Keyman keyboard and font as follows

It is a bit confusing as there are references to keyboard and font in both, but different types of keyboards / fonts in each

Thank you again,

David

Yes, you can use the approach in KMKB0093 for a 32-bit version of Word, and I would recommend this approach because it will continue to work if you do update to a new version of Word in the future.

So do we do both paragraphs or just select one?

Thxs

I’m not sure what you mean by “both paragraphs”? Just follow steps 1-3 in KB article 93; they should work fine on 32 bit Word as well as 64 bit Word.

I am attaching a screenshot of what I mean. There are two separate grey boxes, both of which refer to a particular keyboard and font.

I was not sure if we are to paste in both sections or just one of them.

Thank you.

Okay, that content is not from the link I gave you, though. The link I gave you was https://help.keyman.com/kb/93. The code in question on that page is:

'
' Keyboard switching in Visual Basic for Applications x64
' -------------------------------------------------------
'
Private Declare PtrSafe Function ActivateKeyboardLayout Lib "user32" (ByVal HKL As LongPtr, _
    ByVal flags As Long) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetKeyboardLayoutList Lib "user32" (ByVal size As Long, _
    ByRef layouts As LongPtr) As Long

Sub SwitchKhmerOn()
    Selection.Font.Name = "Khmer OS Content"
    ActivateKeyboardLayout &H4530453, 0
End Sub

Sub SwitchKeymanOff()
    Selection.Font.Name = "Arial"
    ActivateKeyboardLayout &H4090C09, 0
End Sub

Sub ShowLoadedLayouts()
    Dim numLayouts As Long
    Dim i As Long
    Dim layouts() As LongPtr

numLayouts = GetKeyboardLayoutList(0, ByVal 0&)
    ReDim layouts(numLayouts - 1)
    GetKeyboardLayoutList numLayouts, layouts(0)

Dim msg As String
    msg = "Loaded keyboard layouts: " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf

For i = 0 To numLayouts - 1
        msg = msg & Hex(layouts(i)) & vbCrLf
    Next

MsgBox msg
End Sub

In this code, you’d need to change the references to fonts and keyboard layout identifiers in the SwitchKhmerOn and SwitchKeymanOff functions. To find out the keyboard layout identifier to use (known as a HKL in Windows), run the ShowLoadedLayouts function – this will give you a list of all the loaded keyboard layouts and their identifiers. (To run the ShowLoadedLayouts function, click inside the function, then press F5).

Thank you, Marc. I was confused by the title, thinking that it was only for 64-bit versions of Word.

This conversation is now resolved. Please do ask if you have more questions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.