SayMore won't open even with a new installation

I have a similar issue to the SayMore doesn’t open problem. SayMore v3.1.5 used to work for me but now it doesn’t open. I think it’s probably my fault for manually messing with some of the session files in my project. If I install a new version e.g. SayMore v3.2.22 it still doesn’t open. I can’t open SayMore by clicking on the program icon nor can I open it through any of my other project files. There are no error message and I can’t find any error log. I did try holding down shift when opening SayMore to delete the user settings but that didn’t solve the problem. My current workaround is to open the project with Lameta (as advised I have backed up my data first by making a copy of the project since you can’t load up the same project in SayMore once Lameta has accessed it). Is there anything I can do to get SayMore working again on my laptop? I’d be happy to start with a new project but I can’t even do that.


PS I’ve been meaning to feedback to the developers; SayMore is one of my favourite tools, I particularly appreciate how user-friendly it is and the way it integrates with the existing file system with data that can be exported to a number of standard file formats.

Hi Tim,
I assume that what is happens is, when SayMore runs, it is trying to open the last project it had open. Since you’ve introduced some corruption in those files, it dies.

Try just moving the project somewhere else, or renaming the top level folder. Then it won’t find it, and will let you create a new project.

While we’re talking about it, can you tell me which of the features of SayMore that you use that aren’t available in lameta?


Thanks John. I just tried that but unfortunately it didn’t work. Separately I also tried renaming the SayMore folder in the Documents folder but that didn’t work either. In case it’s helpful I’m using Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19043.

Lameta looks good. I haven’t fully explored it but I find SayMore quicker to edit transcriptions because you don’t have to open ELAN and set up the Transcription Mode. Also ELAN seems to leave an extra window open when I close it so I end up having a proliferation of ELAN windows as I open up annotation files.

OK Tim, try this. Find the folder C:\Users<your user name>\AppData\Local\SayMore , and delete its contents.

If that doesn’t fix it, then it would seem to rule out the problem being your project files, and point more towards an installation problem.

Thanks for the feedback on transcription. I am a fan of SayMore’s transcription system myself :wink: . Have you by chance tried “Simple ELAN” (see video)? Some people have the perspective that the advent of Simple ELAN obviates the need for SayMore-style transcription in lameta. If that isn’t the case, it would be helpful feedback to me.

I tried deleting that folder’s contents (a SayMore.settings file) but it still doesn’t open. So maybe it is an installation problem. I can manage with Lameta, but I’m happy to further investigate the SayMore problem if that’s helpful for others too.

Thanks for drawing my attention to Simple ELAN. I had originally discounted it because I thought it was limited to one tier. After having a go I can see it does let you add a translation tier with the // notation. However once you save this as a regular multi-tier ELAN file, it doesn’t seem you can edit it again in Simple ELAN. I need the regular muli-tier ELAN files because they are processed by other tools. So for me SayMore is still quicker at editing the annotations. I’ll also need to report the bugs I encountered in Simple ELAN (e.g. an index out of bounds exception when loading up an existing file, and a truncated help file that is only viewable if copied and pasted into Word) and, of course :wink:, I found myself missing your user interface design.

On advice from my colleague David Rowbory I tried deleting a slightly different folder:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\SIL\SayMore (interestingly both folders exist). That seemed to fix everything and I can now run SayMore. The problem seemed to be a file called SayMore.en.tmx that was filled with null characters instead of XML.

1 Like

I believe the problem that was causing the corrupted TMX files has been fixed. (In any case, SayMore now uses XLIFF files for its localizations.)