Sanskrit - Veda Devanagiri Keyboard

I am trying to use the Keyman keyboard to type in Sanskrit. Everytime I type a letter whatever i typed earlier goes away and only the last letter that I type remains. could u please guide me on how this could be avoided. Like every letter stays without being overwritten.

Thank you.

Regards,
Sripriya

Can you give the specific name of the keyboard you are having the issue with? Which one of these is it?

An example of how this issue happens would also be helpful.

Thank you. Its Keyman 14.0.

For eg: when I have to type a word, every letter overwrites the other letter. so as mentioned in my original message only the last letter remains.If I have to type वनभुवः only व remains…

Thank you. Its Keyman 14.0.

For eg: when I have to type a word, every letter overwrites the other letter. so as mentioned in my original message only the last letter remains.If I have to type वनभुवः only व remains… This issue is only when I type in excel

I guess this keyboard (Vedic Sanskrit Devanagari Phonetic (ITRANS) keyboard) is the keyboard you are using because I can replicate the behavior you described.

With this keyboard, I’ve tried and typed kakhaga:

1. in Notepad, the output is कखग (expected)
  2. in Calc of LibreOffice v7.0.5.2, कखग (expected)
  3. in Excel of MS Office Pro Plus 2016 v2106, the output is ग (unexpected)

This probably is a bug in Excel, but I’ve logged this issue here so that we can keep track of it.

I can confirm that this behavior also happens when using other Sanskrit keyboard, i.e. The Heidelberg Input Solution keyboard.

Yes, this is the same as #944.

Good news: I have tested today with Excel Version 2107 (Build 14228.20204 Click-to-Run) (About dialog shows Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.14228.20200) ) and this backspacing behaviour is resolved in this version.

Tried just now and it doesn’t get fixed for me neither on the Excel Version 2107 (Build 14228.20204 Click-to-Run) nor the latest version Version 2107 (Build 14228.20226 Click-to-Run).

The about dialog shows a different version from yours though, Microsoft Excel 2016 MSO (16.0.14228.20216) 32-bit.

I interesting your content

Yes, this appears to be fixed in Microsoft Excel 365 and (I presume) Excel 2019 – but not fixed in Microsoft Excel 2016. Microsoft were unsure exactly when the fix went in. The Office versioning strategy is difficult to follow now, but if you are on a fully updated Office 365 or Excel 2019, you should have the fix. (The build numbers do not appear to be particularly relevant?)

I’ve tried again using Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.52 (21080801) and it works as expected.

It looks like Microsoft Excel 2016 MSO on Windows falls behind in terms of this update.

Excel on Mac and Excel on Windows are separately developed products so this issue probably never arose on Mac.

I am guessing Excel 2016 no longer receives any updates apart from security patches.

1 Like

@Srikrish What version is your Excel? Can you try and confirm whether or not it is now working on the latest update of your Excel?

The issue on this topic has been marked as resolved.
Respectfully, due to the inactiveness of the conversation, this topic is now closed for any further discussion.
Please feel free to create a new topic if there is any question or the issue persists.