Recording tool doesn't seem to recognize that Aeneas is installed

I’m helping a student in a Bloom workshop who is having trouble with the Recording Tool. She is using 4.7.6 on Windows 7, with aeneas tools 1.7.3 installed. Even after restarting her machine, when she records a whole text box and tries to let Bloom divide it, she receives the message telling her to install aeneas. Is there something we should do for using this feature on Windows 7?

Hi Bruce,
On my way to bed, some quick ideas:
I see there is a fair amount of code that checks all the dependencies, each with its own error message. So it might speed up troubleshooting to get us the actual exact error message that your student is getting. Perhaps the log would help too.

You could also try executing Aeneas yourself from the cmd line to ensure that it’s installed. Open up a terminal and type

python -m aeneas.tools.execute_task --examples

Thanks John,
I’ve asked her to send in an error report from the Bloom help menu so you can see the log. I’ll be in contact with her later after today’s Zoom meetings and will see if we can check the installation with that python command. I received a message from her this morning about her attempts to uninstall aeneas and re‑install it. During those attempts, she received a message saying that the file C:\Program Files (x86)\eSpeak\unins000.dat doesn’t exist, so it seems something did go wrong with the installation. If she can get it all removed, I’ll have her retry installing the aeneas tools as administrator.

Reporting back just to confirm that it looks like this isn’t a Bloom issue. I asked her to run the aeneas verification script available on RAB’s Tools menu, and that failed. She shared her screen while uninstalling aeneas tools and attempting a re‑install. I saw the same message about the eSpeak uninstall file not existing during the uninstall. The re‑install ended with two “The system cannot find the path specified.” messages in the terminal. I didn’t have a good enough connection to see all the steps that appeared on the terminal clearly, but it seems that some indicated problems with the eSpeak installation.

We were running the install as administrator, and she has a 64‑bit system. The only aspect of her configuration that might be different than typical is that she is using two drives (or partitions?): system on drive c: and data on drive d: Her downloads go to drive d: so that’s where we had launched the installer originally; we tried moving it to the root of c: and installing as administrator from there with the same results.

Since this isn’t a Bloom issue, I realize this probably isn’t the place to get aeneas support. Is it better for me to ask this question on the RAB forum, or is there another place for asking about these special installers? I guess my next step might be to have her run the installer again as administrator, and then afterward run the separate espeak installer available at http://espeak.sourceforge.net/download.html. Or maybe I should run that installer first if it creates the path that the aeneas‑tools batch is looking for?

Installing espeak separately before running the installer for the latest aeneas‑tools (v1.7.3.0_2 updated for Python 3.7) did NOT work.

We were able to get aeneas working with her Bloom installation, though, by installing aeneas‑tools v1.7.2 (which uses Python 2.7.13), so I’ll mark this resolved.