Phonology Assistant not showing any data

My problem is that I can’t access my FLEx data in Phonology Assistant anymore. When I open Phonology Assistant and go into the main project I’m working on, it says that it’s reading it, but then doesn’t show me any data. It gives the following error regularly as well:

“An error occurred while reading data source file ‘NAME OF PROJECT’.”

It doesn’t seem to matter whether I hit “details” or “ok,” since whatever I hit, the dialog box goes away and it brings me to my empty database. (Or sometimes it shows the error again first.)

I tried opening another project to see if that would work better, but with each of the other two projects I tried to open it came up with the following error:

“Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this message and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Something went wrong trying to invoke SIL.Pa.UI.PaMainWnd, Text: :OnOpenProject().”

The first time I hit “continue” and it just ran until I had to close PA since it wasn’t doing anything. The second time I hit “Quit” and it did the same thing – a spinning circle for my mouse for a long time, not getting anywhere.

I did update to PA 4.1 yesterday, but it was doing this both before and after the update.

Let me know if you need other information or if I can send you something (though my FLEx backup is now 294mb, I believe because of audios I’ve added for my texts).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give


Thanks so much for your feedback. Sorry for not answering sooner. I was out of town for three weeks and only saw your question when I got back.

Which version of FLEx are you using?

Hi Greg,

Not a problem. I trust you had a wonderful time away, and I’m glad you weren’t responding here during your vacation!

I’m using FLEx


Thanks Susie,

I was consulting with Ken Zook and he said there had been no data migrations between FLEx and the latest 9.1.13 but I know that many of the changes made to Phonology Assistant 4.1 were made so it would work well with FLEx 9.1. Ken thought it would also be more stable than what you are currently using. Do you think you could upgrade to this latest version (I think he said it is FLEx 9.1.13)?

Hi Greg,
Thanks for that. I will work on downloading the Beta FLEx 9.1.12. I’ll let you know how that works, but it may take a few days with the download speeds here. :slight_smile:

Hi Greg,
I updated FLEx to 9.1.12, and my Phonology Assistant still isn’t working. I then uninstalled PA, restarted the computer, and reinstalled it. I then opened another project and it opened, but when I tried opening my real project it still didn’t work. In playing around with it, it looks like it opens most of my projects, but some of them still have problems. The biggest problem is that the project I’m actually really working on still won’t open in PA.
My only guess is that my filters are bad, but I’ve tried changing them and I think that they should be good. I would turn them all off, but I don’t know how to do that.
Any more help? Thanks!!


I don’t know how I missed your message. For me, I create a new filter called “All” that shows me everything.

I wonder if you can’t get your PA project to work, could you create a new PA project connected to the same Flex data? How much work would it be to recreate the PA project? All the data is actually coming from FLEx, right?


Hi Greg,
Thanks for responding even after it had been a while. Just today I was thinking about it again and wishing I’d be able to get it to work.
Yes, I had wanted to just start over from scratch, but didn’t know how to get rid of what PA already knew. But today, after receiving your message, I found the folder with all the PA stuff for this language project and deleted it. Then I tried to figure out how to create it again from my FLEX data. I couldn’t figure that out, so I dug the folder out of the recycle bin and put it back in its place and voila! It works now. So I don’t know what was wrong, but there must have been a bug somewhere that fixed itself when I gave it a “time out” in the recycle bin.
So thanks again so much, and I’ll let you know next time I run into a snag. But for now it’s working again!

Obtenir Outlook pour Android

Wow, Susie, That’s wonderful. I’ll have to remember that technique as I have never tried giving software a “Time Out”. It often worked to settle the kids down…

I am so glad it is working for you again. Congratulations on your persistence.