Phantom languages in my Windows language list

I noticed today that my Windows language bar lists 5 language choices, but in Language preferences I only have two set. None of these use Keyman keyboards. I tried uninstalling Keyman then reinstalling it, currently it says there are no Keyman keyboards installed. I realize this sounds more like a Windows issue than a Keyman issue, but do you have any suggestions how to remove these phantom languages?

my language selection list:

my language list in settings: ( I have ENG International defined as a keyboard option along with ENG US).

KeymanDiagnostic.tsi (202.0 KB)

After posting this, I did manage to get the Afrikaans to disappear, by first adding it as a Windows language in Settings, then removing it. The same strategy does not get rid of the Hebrew or the Amharic, perhaps because I cannot add one of those languages then choose the US keyboard for it.

Sometimes restarting Windows removes these. We found this happening more in Keyman 13 and earlier, where disabling a Keyman keyboard (or exiting Keyman) would sometimes cause Windows to add the US English keyboard for languages that otherwise would have been removed.

I don’t have a great answer; I sometimes use an unsupported tool I wrote to uninstall the keyboards but not sure if I want to promote using that!

1 Like

Does your tool work by removing keyboard layouts in
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload ?

I’ve done that and my phantom entries have gone.

1 Like

It has a bunch of techniques because there are many layers to Windows keyboard registration and it’s easy to fall between the cracks in them.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.