Outlook crashes when using Keyman Keyboard

I can’t be sure of anything at this point other than I have had Outlook 2019 crash on me a number of times and it seems to be related to having a Keyman Keyboard selected. I’ve written a keyboard for one of the local first nations and sometimes when I have it selected and I’m writing an email Outlook crashes with an exception. It happens fairly infrequently and so far I’ve only seen problems with Outlook. When I use the regular English (Canada) keyboard I don’t have a problem. Restarting Outlook doesn’t seem to clear the problem. Once it starts happening it keeps happening until I select a different keyboard and then restart Outlook.

So my question at this point is what information should I collect when it happens that would help in debugging the problem since I can’t reliable reproduce the problem yet?
Thanks.

That doesn’t sound good. What we’ll need is a crash dump file. You will need to setup Windows to enable crash dump reporting, and then collect a crash dump file, zip it and send it to us via private message on the forum. If that doesn’t sound too bad, here’s how you do it:

1. You will need to use the Registry Editor to make this change – use at your own risk! Create the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps. You do not need to add any values to this key. (https://helgeklein.com/blog/2018/10/creating-an-application-crash-dump/ provides some more detail and https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps explains all detail).
  2. When a crash occurs, locate the crash dump file in %localappdata%\crashdumps; you can use Win+R to open the Run dialog and paste that folder in.
  3. Zip the crash dump file, and attach it to a private message to me on this forum (you need to zip it for it to upload successfully).

Hi Marc,

So, I use filezilla and it had the LocalDumps key already created, or at least I assume it was filezilla because there are several filezilla exes listed under the key. So I looked in %localappdata%\crashdumps and there is nothing related to Outlook and nothing with todays date. So I looked in *C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local* which is mentioned in the first link below but there is no CrashDumps directory. There are a number of directories with todays date but they all appear to be empty. I have Visual Studio 2019 installed and when I’ve had the crash its asked me if I want to debug the application. Is that useful in any way?

I’m technical so I’m game to try most anything but Windows isn’t my strength.

Cheers,

Keith

image001.jpg

2 Likes

Hi Marc,

It looks like I didn’t read far enough. Because I have Visual Studio installed I think it sets automatic debug which disables the dump. I’ve added OUTLOOK.exe to the debugger AutoExclusionList. Hopefully, that will get a crash dump but it’ll take a while. It doesn’t happen often.

Regards,

Keith

image001.jpg

1 Like

Hopefully that will do the job!