Optimum screen size for Bloom Reader App

Hi
Is the BLOOM Reader app optimized for any particular tablet, 7",8", or 10" or any particular screen size for phones?

Wanting to buy a tablet for testing…
Bethann Carlson

Bloom Reader is optimized for a 16x9 screen shape, which is what most phones use. Some newer phones have an even taller and thinner shape, and BloomReader will waste a little space at the top and bottom (for portrait mode books). Some tablets have a shorter, thicker shape, and BR will waste some space along the sides. It should work on any of them (as long as it has at least Android 4.4).

Apart from that, the only issue is readability. Depending on how much text you are trying to get on a page, a larger screen may make it easier to read. But most books should be fine on most phones.

I have Samsung Tab A, 8 inch screen. I have a hard time getting my bloom books to display my text boxes correctly. Many times some of the text from the end does not displayed I used device 16x9 portrait. I have tried both Andika and Andika Basic fonts. What can i do to fix it. Currently i have to reformat the Bloom to not used a portion of the text at the end. it is 1024x768 pixels.

Hi Kent,
Go ahead an do a Help:Report a problem with one of the books showing this. We should be able to set up an emulator to reproduce the problem.

jh

I am wondering if you ever had this problem fixed??
I am wanting to buy a tablet for use with Bloom Reader but still wondering what size tablet would be best. I was thinking of getting an A4 size one so that a group can see the book.

@Sue to what problem are you referring? If to Kent’s, I checked and it appears that we do not have a report with a book having a problem.

I just want to know if Bloom reader works well on an A4 size tablet.

We are thinking of buying a tablet for the specific purpose of using it for Bloom Reader and Alpha tiles literacy app with people on the island we work on.

I just don’t want to buy the wrong size. So looking for advice on this.

Sue

image001.jpg

Hi Sue. I think John Thomson’s post above should mostly answer your question. In a nutshell, Bloom Reader should work fine on all devices (Android 5.0+), but will be optimized (i.e. look best) for 16x9 screen shape.

I will add my two cents by saying that the Bloom team takes specific error reports very seriously, so if we know about a problem we will do our upmost to solve it.

To solve a Bloom Reader problem, the minimum things we’ll need to know is the version of Android, the device, the version of Bloom Reader, and we’ll need the book itself.

To test what books will look like on an A4 screen size, you could try using the BloomPUB Viewer for Windows, and manually resizing the window to approximate an A4-sized device.

Does this help?