Opening crash kmshell

I installed the Keyman 15 alpha, then uninstalled Keyman 15 alpha and tried to re-install Keyman 14.0.282 again.

After installation and now every time I try to open Keyman, I get this error report. I have tried restarting and re-installing several times.

Details for error report for Keyman app:
Application Identifier: kmshell-14.0.282
Error Identifier: 2C1E94DE94F947BB18B90FB3DC02013A

I cannot reproduce the behavior, but an issue was created and can be tracked at bug(widnows): Opening crash kmshell · Issue #5882 · keymanapp/keyman · GitHub.

Thank you. Yes, I’m quite a bit stuck! I’ve tried to install other versions: the stable release 14.0.282, The beta 14.0.268, even going back to 13.0.118.0 - Each time there is a similar crash on opening.

Another bug to report (I think it’s a bug). The reason for all this trouble in the first place was that when I installed the Keyman 15.0.140/141 Alpha, it stopped Keyman Developer from working correctly. While Keyman 15 is installed, and I open Keyman Developer (14.0.282.0), .kpj project files do not load. The screen just hangs. Am I missing something here? Keyman developer is not completely frozen, but project files do not appear and my mouse pointer shows that it is constantly thinking (like maybe caught in an endless loop?). Any ideas?

I’m not sure, but I am guessing that there are some mismatched shared files between Keyman and Keyman Developer – this is one of the perils of installing alpha software, in that we have not yet necessarily covered all the bases for install and upgrade/downgrade.

To resolve this, I would uninstall both Keyman and Keyman Developer, and restart your computer. Then check the following folders for files that may be left over, and remove them:

1. %programfiles(x86)%\Keyman (On English language systems, C:\Program Files (x86)\Keyman)
  2. %commonprogramfiles(x86)%\Keyman (On English language systems, C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Keyman)
  3. %programdata%\Keyman (C:\ProgramData\Keyman)
  4. %appdata%\Keyman (C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Keyman)
  5. %localappdata%\Keyman (C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Keyman)

Normally, you would not need to cleanup the registry, but you can check and remove:

1. HKCU\Software\Keyman
  2. HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Keyman

Then you should be able to install Keyman 14 and Keyman Developer 14 without problems!

Note that mixing Keyman and Keyman Developer versions is not currently supported – i.e. you should run version 14 of both. With version 15 onwards, Keyman Developer will be completely independent of Keyman, and you will be able to run mismatching versions in the future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.