On Windows 10 Pro -- Using Keyman Desktop with Yiddish Keyboard

For about ten years, I have happily used Keyman Desktop Version 9 and a Yiddish keyboard that is NOT transliterated. I used it on Windows 10 Home and on earlier versions of Windows.

I just got a new computer that is running Windows 10 Pro. I installed Keyman Desktop Version 9 and found that it did not work on the new computer.

I then installed Keyman Desktop Version 11 and that DID work. But the only Yiddish keyboards available for Version 11 appear to be transliterated keyboards (i.e., “A” is “aleph”, “B” is “bes”, etc.). Additionally, the Yiddish keyboard that I had happily used with Version 9 does not work with Version 11.

Is it possible to get a non-transliterated Yiddish keyboard like the one that worked with Version 9? That keyboard was a mimic of a standard Hebrew keyboard, with, of course, additional keys for needed Yiddish characters.

Thank you.

Len Jacobson

Welcome to the community, Len.

We are sorry that you experience this issue.

Is it possible to get a non-transliterated Yiddish keyboard like the one that worked with Version 9? That keyboard was a mimic of a standard Hebrew keyboard, with, of course, additional keys for needed Yiddish characters.

We can make the keyboard work in version 11 and later if we have access to the keyboard source. Alternatively, you can create a custom keyboard to specifically suit your need.

I do have the Yiddish keyboard that I used with Version 9. Are you asking me to send it to you? If so, I will be happy to do that.

I am a new user of this forum, and as such, I cannot use the Upload function in this system. Is there another way that I can send you the keyboard that I used with Version 9?

Len Jacobson

You may send the keyboard to my email at makara@keyman.com. If you are the author of the keyboard and would like to have the keyboard published on keyman.com, we can do that too.