Ojibwe keyboard double vowels, "w"

Can someone please tell me how to do a double vowel syllabic (ie mii)? Most keyboards you would type m + (shift + i). When I do that, I get ᒻᐃ, which is not the correct syllabic; it should be the first syllabic (looks like an L), full sized, with a dot on the top.

The ‘w’ is not working as I would expect, either. Most keyboards would type ‘ke’ as something looking like a P. To make ‘kwe,’ it would be the same symbol, but with a dot in front of it in the middle.

Sorry you’re having issues. Could you identify which Ojibwe keyboard you are using? (If you bring up the Keyman configuration, what name does it list for this keyboard?)

Ojibwe, left-dot a-final.

When I go to keyman.com and search for Ojibwe, I see six possibilities:

BJ-OjiCree (Kingfisher)(Ojibwe language)
bj_oji_cree

Ojibwa Syllabics(Ojibwe language)
km_ojibwasyllabics

Oji-Cree Syllabics(Ojibwe language)
km_ojicreesyllabics

ᐊᓂᔑᓂᓂᒧᐎᐣ(Ojibwe language)
fv_severn_ojibwa
This keyboard is designed for the ᐊᓂᔑᓂᓂᒧᐎᐣ (Severn Ojibwa) language of the Eastern Subarctic region of Canada. This is part of a set of keyboards from FirstVoices.

ᐊᓂᔑᓇᐯᒧᐎᓐ(Ojibwe language)
fv_ojibwa
This keyboard is designed for the ᐊᓂᔑᓇᐯᒧᐎᓐ (Ojibwa) language of the Eastern Subarctic region of Canada. This is part of a set of keyboards from FirstVoices.

Anishinaabemowin(Ojibwe language)
fv_anishinaabemowin
This keyboard is designed for the Anishinaabemowin language of the Great Lakes - St. Lawrence region of Canada. This is part of a set of keyboards from FirstVoices.

Is the keyboard you are asking about one of these, or something else?

I’m pretty sure the one I downloaded is the km_ojibwa. I tried the Anishinaabemowin one just now, but it doesn’t seem to work. It says that it can’t be downloaded but I can use the keyboard online. A keyboard pops up on the screen but typing only produces the English letters, not the syllabics.

The km_ojibwa choice is actually a package that installs six keyboards:

Ojibwa, left-dot i-final
Ojibwa, left-dot a-final
Ojibwa, left-dot western-final
Ojibwa, right-dot i-final
Ojibwa, right-dot a-final
Ojibwa, right-dot western-final

It seems you are using the “Ojibwa, left-dot a-final” keyboard.

We do not have the source files or documentation for these keyboards, but perhaps you can find what you need on the author’s website: http://www.languagegeek.com

Starting from that page, and clicking Keyboards, then “Anishinaabemowin (Ojibwa)” (under “SYLLABICS ORTHOGRAPHY”) takes you to:
http://www.languagegeek.com/algon/syllabics_keyboards/cr_oj_oc_na.html

On that page, under the OJIBWE heading, you can download a PDF file for “a-finals, left-side w-dot”:

Does this give you the information you need? If not, please write again.

press u + short vowel to make the long vowel syllabic
ᐁᐌ
ᐃᐎ
ᐅᐒ
ᐊᐗ

press u + consonant + short vowel to make the consonant and long vowel combo
ᐯᐺᐱᐼᐳᑀᐸᑄ

cf. Ojibwe Syllabics Keyboard Missing Vowels - #5 by makara

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.