OFL license text

Hello,

Does the full OFL license text always need to accompany the font if I use it in logos, videos making or in any kind of design work to post it on social media?

I already read the answer for Question 1.10 from OFL-FAQ web version (1.1-update6) (OFL-FAQ web version (1.1-update6)), but I still don’t understand it because I’m not really good in English and Google Translate doesn’t help me much in understanding it.

I hope that someone can answer my question using simple language make it clear for me.

Thank you.

My response may not be authoritative (I work for a different department in SIL).

If you are using the font in a logo, video, image or PDF, you shouldn’t need to include the OFL or even credit the font. Using the font to create something is fine.

See question 1.1:

Question: 1.1 Can I use the fonts for a book or other print publication, to create logos or other graphics or even to manufacture objects based on their outlines?

Answer: Yes. You are very welcome to do so. Authors of fonts released under the OFL allow you to use their font software as such for any kind of design work. No additional license or permission is required, unlike with some other licenses. Some examples of these uses are: logos, posters, business cards, stationery, video titling, signage, t-shirts, personalised fabric, 3D-printed/laser-cut shapes, sculptures, rubber stamps, cookie cutters and lead type.

1.10 talks about the special case of bundling/including the font files inside a program, such as an Android application.

My understanding is that you ONLY need to include the OFL if you are
1: Distributing a copy of the font (Andidka.ttf, Andika.woff, etc.) to other users for their own use, such as with a software program.
2. Modifying or repackaging an existing OFL font.

That is correct. You do not need to include the license with graphics/videos you create with the font.

Thank you so much for your reply. It helps a lot.

1 Like

Thank you so much Victor. It helps a lot.