Off-line capability

Since internet is not reliable or does not exist in many places in the developing world, I would like to see the off-line capability feature made a priority.
Yours,
Kari

Hi Kari,

Thank you for writing about offline capabilities. This is a large feature, one whose development cost I have underestimated for years. Our ability to deliver an offline Language Forge largely hangs on the team re-writing Language Forge using a different, more modern technology stack that has offline features baked in. I agree with you that offline is a very important feature, one that I would really really like to deliver on. At this point our roadmap and future technology decisions are still under development. Thank you for interacting with us!

Until off-line capability is developed, is there a way we can easily export some sort of copy to Word or PDF so we could at least have access to it in the communities for checking, testing, etc?

If not, then I know we can sync to FLEx and then print a PDF from the Dictionary view.

Hello Dale,

Our apologies for the delayed response. Currently, all of the export solutions are via FLEx. Exporting to Word or PDF for community review are good options.

In my personal case, in FLEx I created a dictionary view called “Linguist’s Lexical Export” that shows every single field- including ones that wouldn’t normally go in a dictionary (such as notes and the date last edited). I used that to export my lexicon, and import it into DAB. Then I installed the resulting app on my phone, so that I always have access to all of my data, even if I can’t edit it. This is an app that only I use.

I hope this helps.

Hi Everybody,
I am a new user of Language Forge. As the replies in this thread are a bit old. I wanted to ask: is there now the possibility to make changes in LF offline, which are sync, when the person gets connected again to the internet.
As other users pointed, the feature would be very useful, at least for us in Africa with limited internet coverage.
This feature would allow real crowd sourcing including the ‘village’ people of the communities we work with…
Greetings
John

NO REPLY???
Is this list being watched?
Greetings
John Vanderelst

Hi John I’m sorry for not replying sooner somehow your last message missed my inbox.

Unfortunately we’re still in the same place as a couple of years ago when Chris made his comment.

We’re finally in a place where we can consider a rewrite to enable these features but it’s still a few years away. I’m sorry I know that’s not what you want to hear.

Hi Alex

I know this is an old thread but I am just starting to have more need to use language forge. Just one question about your export and import into dictionary app builder: are you able to import the sound files as well? Does the dab manual explain how to do that export import?

Thanks for any advice.

Ian

Hi there Ian,

While I have never done it, the good news is that yes, it is possible for the app to include the audio.

The DAB documentation is available in the DAB Help menu. The Building Apps document is particularly useful. It explains the entire process.

For details regarding audio, please see section 1.3 on page 5 and section 6, on pages 17-19.

Note also that DAB has its own help forum:

Please let me know how it goes!

Well, I am afraid I need to tell you that importing audio into DAB has been known to be broken for the past several years, see this thread. The workaround discussed in the thread did not work for me so I think it is fair to say that as of now, no, unfortunately it is not possible to import audio.
However, new input on the thread is always welcome, so give it a go and let us know, Ian!

Thank you for alerting us to this issue. I was not aware of the problem.