Missing MSI file

Sorry I didn’t understand the question.

Perhaps this part of the Package editor help file applies?

Package Installers

A Package Installer will install both Keyman Desktop and the package at the same time, using the same bootstrap installer that Keyman Desktop uses. You will need to find the .msi file that is associated with the version of Keyman Desktop that you want to bundle the keyboard with.

There are two ways to obtain the Keyman Desktop .msi installer

1. Downloading from Keyman Downloads
  2. Extracting the .msi installer that is embedded in the .exe installer using the “-x” option. For example, run
keymandesktop-10.0.1031.0.exe -x .

to extract the .msi file into the current folder.
You cannot select the .exe file for the Package Installer - it must be an .msi file. If you create your own custom product, you can also use the .msi file generated in this instance here.

The bootstrapper installer used for a Package Installer has several command line parameters that can be used. More information on the bootstrapper installer.

Source: https://help.keyman.com/developer/10.0/context/package-editor

1 Like

Thanks for your prompt response. But that link only gives a Notebook description of the file, but no means to install it.

The instructions on the Packaging page clearly request an MSI file, not an exe one. The link you gave me goes to the main Keyman page and says nothing about things like this

I see the MSI file here:
https://downloads.keyman.com/windows/stable/10.0.1200.0/

But that link only gives a Notebook description of the file, but no means to install it.

That folder has several files to download. You’re looking for keymandesktop90.msi.

Steve’s link will be officially announced soon…

In order to package a Keyman keyboard the system asks for a msi file. I searched high
and low for it until I found the file “keymandesktop100.msi” where you suggested,
but when i tried to save it, it could not be found anywhere in the computer. Is this the right file and
if so what do I do with it?

In order to package a Keyman keyboard the system asks for a msi file. I searched high
and low for it until I found the file "keymandesktop100.msi" where you suggested,
but when i tried to save it, it could not be found anywhere in the computer. Is this the right file, where is it and if so what do I do with it?

You’ll need to save the keymandesktop msi file to a known location on your computer. A typical location to check is c:\users\[USERNAME]\Downloads.

Then in Keyman Developer, go to Package editor --> Compile tab
(the screenshot below is from Developer 10.0.1200.0)

In the Windows Installer panel, click “Find Keyman Desktop MSI…” and browse to the location of your msi file.

In 14.0.216-beta, after locating the .msi, there is another hiccup:

khmer_angkor.kps: Compiling package khmer_angkor.kps…
khmer_angkor.kps: Redist path not specified, loading default (C:\Program Files (x86)\Keyman\Keyman Developer\redist\setup)
khmer_angkor.kps: Fatal Error: setup.exe or setup-redist.exe are missing from redist (C:\Program Files (x86)\Keyman\Keyman Developer\redist\setup).
khmer_angkor.kps: Success: ‘C:\keyman\keyboards\keyboards\release\k\khmer_angkor\source\khmer_angkor.kps’ compiled successfully.

What is “Redist”?

1 Like

Redist is short for redistributable, which are the files that can be redistributed as part of a Keyman install. Normally there will be a folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Keyman\Keyman Developer\redist\setup with setup.exe present within it. Is that folder missing on your install of Keyman Developer?

This error does not occur in our stable version though. Once the msil file is located and included in the package, the build went through smoothly and the executable file of the keyboard and keyman itself was created as expected.

But it is happening in the beta, right? Can you check that folder for the beta version?

The`setup.exe’ is found in the location specified. The version used when checking this is 14.0.221,

Can you create an issue for this and link it here?

1 Like

The issue is now logged at: bug(developer): Fatal Error: setup.exe or setup-redist.exe are missing from redist · Issue #4354 · keymanapp/keyman · GitHub.

Same problem with me too. No solution as yet

1 Like

What version of Keyman Developer are you using? This should not happen in the latest version.

I’ve only recently updated to the latest version of Keyman Developer. The redist folder no longer exists in C:\Program Files (x86)\Keyman\Keyman Developer\. I’m encountering the same problem @makara described in January 2021.

Edit:
Don’t worry. I figured out that I could simply create the redist & setup folders myself then download the setup.exe file (available here) into it. Then it worked.

Ideally, if you’ve just updated the Keyman Developer to the current latest version, you may want to use the file from the same version, :slight_smile: like: Index of /windows/stable/16.0.138.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.