Localization Font

Hello,

I have completed Kannada translation for Keyman. There are few more fine tuning of verbiage, once its done It is ready for release.

But, I have chose to use “Noto Sans Kannada” in the font name. Noto Sans Kannada is installed in the PC.

Keyman doesn’t pickup the “Noto Sans Kannada” as the display font. Instead it picks “Nirmala UI” in some places and “Tunga” in some places.

My suspect is, font type is hardcoded in Keyman. Since keyman configuration uses web interface, I am confident, keyman interface has “Sans” and “Sans-Serif” as the font-style as fallback type.

Windows picks up “Nirmala UI” as Sans-Serif style
Tunga as Sans style

Please look into this.

Have you put double quote characters around the font name (e.g. “Noto Sans Kannada”), because the font name includes spaces?

I have tried
“Noto Sans Kannada”
Noto Sans Kannada
NotoSansKannada

All three attempts have failed.

If you want to test it yourself.

Please find the Google Noto Sans Kannada Fonts

Translation is in the 10.0.1100 group.

One more thing, under this below link version 10 is not listed, only 7, 8 and 9 are listed in the drop down menu

We have to use the direct link to perform translation. I don’t know if this is intended.

Also,

1. in the startup screen text sits outside the click box. We need to either be able to reduce the text size or increase box size or me change the text. The text I have chose is most apt for native transliteration. We need the entire text, unfortunately.

2. the system tray icon, some text are in blue, some are in black. I suspect the ones in the blue are treated as hyperlink. Please look into it.
    It is better to look uniform.

Capture2

@Marc should I file a issue in the github?

Please assist with this issue

Looking into these things now.

Note that we have a sprint scheduled for next year to focus on improving the internationalization of all Keyman projects so we will do some concentrated work then and issues relating to internationalization will mostly be addressed then.

These issues are tricky to address in Keyman 10. I have logged them for resolution in this i18n sprint next year.

Hard coded font name and button size issues: https://github.com/keymanapp/keyman/issues/1262
Font color issue: https://github.com/keymanapp/keyman/issues/1263

Despite these imperfections, I do think we can use the work you have done – something is better than nothing. So when you are ready, let me know and I will add the localization file to the Keyman Desktop UI files both in the source and in the (current) localisation repository.

I completely understand. I was thinking If there was something i was doing wrong.
I am reporting issues as I am finding them. You know it better what’s important and what’s not.

I am very thankful to you n Keyman team for providing such a good platform to minority languages.

1 Like

Thank you @mayura! Do keep reporting the issues: it helps us to prioritise – and if we don’t know about a problem, we’ll never fix it :wink:

The issue on this topic has been resolved.
Respectfully, due to the inactiveness of the conversation, this topic is now closed for any further discussion.
Please feel free to create a new topic if there is any question or the issue persists.