Ldml layout

what is the intention of this project?

does all os support ldml format?

is it related to the above?

Currently, no operating systems support ldml format. This project is a host for development of ldml keyboards to seed the keyboard repository for when operating systems or other apps support ldml format keyboards. We have scheduled full support for ldml in Keyman 13.0 in the Roadmap.

I have tried mac os xml based keyboard layout. It is very similar to this format.
Except transform and if other sequences are missing in mac os.
is this DTD accepted part of Unicode standard?

The Unicode Consortium manages the LDML project; see http://unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-keyboards.html

A KMN-to-LDML converter would help with seeding. Is one on the horizon or has someone done this already?

Yes, we do hope to do 50 keyboards as a proof of concept in September I believe.

@lorna thank you.

How can we test the keyboard, if none of the OS has implemented the LDML engine, yet.

We will have an Keyman engine by then.

At this point there is no way to test LDML keyboards. There are some test scripts being written but it’s early days for the LMDL spec.

Is there any news on LMDL keyboards?

Does the spec has a way to know the characters in text stream to the left of the cursor?

thanks

A LDML-to-KMN converter is in the plan for this year initially, which will give Keyman the ability to consume any LDML keyboards. This will make it feasible to develop and use LDML keyboards. From there we hope to develop an LDML native engine for Keyman.

The specification does define transforms which work with text in the text stream, yes.

2 Likes

Hi all,
I am really interested in the LDML keyboard as a Fula (Latin) keyboard has not been yet integrated into Unicode. We do have a (now standard layout) but I am looking to convert it so it can be added to Unicode. Anyone has information about that?

Thanks
Ibrahima

Hello @ibrahima

The CLDR Keyboard specification is still going through major revisions and isn’t ready for implementation yet.

You can follow the progress at
https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-15034

1 Like

Thanks a lot @darcy for the information. I am actually interested in submitting the Fulah keyboard to Unicode CLDR. We’ve had a layout for decades but still not included in Unicode. So, Windows, MacOS or and mobile OS’s do not have the Fulah keyboard.
Since these are pulled from Unicode CLDR, I tried to use the Unicode repository on GitHub which I forked and used the French template to create the Fulah keyboard.

But I am not sure if that is the current active repository actually used in CLDR.
Does anyone have input about that?

Thank you again
Ibrahima

There is no currently used repository for the CLDR/LDML keyboards that Microsoft/Apple/Google pull from yet. This is currently under development. The specification is not yet 100% complete, and there are not yet any implementations – Keyman will probably be the first, as we are actively developing it now, and it will probably be used to gauge the viability of the standard by other vendors.

I am hoping that towards the end of this year, with Keyman 17, we’ll have a viable implementation, at least for desktop devices, and hopefully shortly after that, for mobile devices.

Note: the existing CLDR repository for keyboards is descriptive only – vendors have contributed existing keyboards, but are not sourcing keyboards from there for implementation. The upcoming standard is the opposite: it will be hopefully be an ideal pathway for languages such as Fulah to be supported at the operating system level.

Thanks a mot Marc

I understand better now. I cannot wait to see that implemented. Also, I am so hungry for advanced training in Keyman main new features.
I read tons of documentation on the website but the documentation is so overwhelming and not to the point like in a course or webinar.
Everything I learned was during training webinars and hands-on hacking and experimenting…
I am more than ready should there be any training.

Thanks all
Ibrahima

See Keyman Training for recordings of two events:

• a series of webinars all about Keyman 14 between 29 March and 1 April 2021
  • an Online Keyman Developer Training Workshop the week of February 24-28, 2020
2 Likes

Please reply to this topic if you need further assistance, otherwise it’ll be closed in three weeks.

This topic was automatically closed after 21 days. New replies are no longer allowed.