Language Forge Offline

Hi. Is there any way to enter data in Language Forge offline and synchronize at a convenient time? I have a colleague that would love to whip out his phone, pull up a Language Forge app, and add words he encounters when he’s out and about. Cell phone coverage is still fairly spotty there, and speeds are often really slow when it is present. Is there something like that or something like that in the works?
Blessings,
Brent Brollier
PBT
West Africa Branch

Hi Brent. Thanks for writing. Our product roadmap calls for an offline version of Language Forge that would do exactly what you’ve described. Add words offline and then sync up when a connection is present. We understand the need for this feature and hope to deliver it when we have the resources to do it.

Thanks, Chris. Cool that you’re working on this.
BTW-I still have the link for the little program you created to create
syntax for LingTree back in 2009 when we were at GIAL.
God Bless,
Brent

Any update on the offline version of Language Forge? Would that be in the form of an Android app, or what? We have a couple of teams that would be interested in this capability. Thanks.

I have been wondering the same thing just now. At the moment, more than the need to actually make changes offline, I would like to have a local copy of the database on my phone, including audio files. I don’t really want to take my laptop to the village (long way, super dusty). But being able to access the database from my phone and play the audio files for entries would be wonderful (internet out there isn’t good). I have plenty of space on my phone, more than enough for a FLEx database and audio files.

Hi Ian and Jeff,

Thanks for writing about this. I wish I could tell you that the offline features are almost complete, however that just isn’t the case. We’ve run into a number of technical roadblocks and other bugs that have shifted priorities, but the primary blocker is man-power. There are no full-time developers on Language Forge for 2019, so unfortunately this means no offline features for the foreseeable future. There are a number of pain points and bugs that are worth squashing (and relatively low-hanging fruit) that I intend to address in 2019.

I wish there was better news. Thanks for checking in.

Chris

Hi there Chris,
Just wondering if there is any news on this question/feature? I try to keep an eye on whether offline capability is being developed, so I thought I’d post here to be in on the conversation.
Thanks!
Bethany

Hi Bethany,

Unfortunately Language Forge development is stalled and so there isn’t any progress on this feature to report.